Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Review: The Dream Thieves

Title The Dream Thieves (Raven Boys #2)
By Maggie Stiefvater
Genre YA Supernatural/Paranormal
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Blue never thought she'd be hanging out with Ronan an Aglionby boy and his friends but the four boys known as the Raven Boys have become very close to her. Their quest has become hers and as they search for a the legend king Glendower they'll learn more about Ronan and his secrets and how he can help in their quest.

First Sentence
Theoretically, Blue Sargent was probably going to kill one of these boys.




I'm going to take a minute and tell you how a few years ago I read and enjoyed the first book in this series, The Raven Boys. When I picked up this book, the second book, I found I couldn't remember a thing from the first book and decided to put it down. Fast forward to today. All four books in the series are out now and I decided to reread the first book and then immediately read the rest of the series so I wouldn't forget anything.

This book focuses on Ronan and his ability to pull things from his dreams. Some of his secrets are finally revealed and it was heartbreaking but interesting to get to learn more about him. This book was a little slower and definitely expects you to have read the first book in the series. In fact, all of these books should probably be read together as I'm doing now.

The whole reason I mentioned trying to read this one a while back and putting it down was because, sadly, that aspect of this series bothers me. Not because the author does a bad job of recapping (she doesn't) and not because my memory is terrible (which it is) but because the story, while beautiful and unique, just doesn't stick with me. I reread the first one and immediately picked up this one and still started forgetting things!  The story is a bit forgettable.

This book was slower and then picks up at the end and while I'm OK with slower books, I just wished it would hurry up. Not much seemed to happen and yet, a lot actually happened. I know I sound all over the place but I just can't quite seem to find the words. Oh well. On to Blue Lily, Lily Blue, book three.

Should you read it?
Not before reading book one and probably read them all together like I'm doing. Otherwise, beauty and uniqueness aside, you'll forget everything.

14 comments:

  1. I read them all in a row and I think that lead to my overall enjoyment of the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, reading them back to back is helping.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry it's forgettable. I'm glad I haven't started reading them yet then so I can read them all at once when I finally decide to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bit forgettable. And a little slow moving.

      Delete
  3. Have you read her book Shiver? I was just wondering if it was any good. Or if this series is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Shiver and didn't like it. Haven't read the others yet. This series is better than Shiver but my favorite of hers so far is The Scorpio Races.

      Delete
  4. I listened to the first and a bit of the second book, but decided it wasn't working for me on audiobook. I think I might have to copy you and try to read them back to back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's the only way that's working for me.

      Delete
  5. I need to read my copy of the first book in this series. I only ever liked Shiver and not the other 2 sequels in that series. Maybe she at least writes good first books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked her standalone, The Scorpio Races the best.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't finish this. . .twice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series, and while there were some things I'd forgotten (because I read the first 2 as arcs and the last 2 as they came out), most of it stuck with me... probably because I was, and still am, obsessed with the characters and the setting. I did re-read Blue Lily, Lily Blue before The Raven King, but mostly because I got a deal on the audio.

    I might someday to a binge listen of all 4 books, because I now have them all on audio and I love the narrator. I kind of envy people who can binge read them now, because the wait between books was torture!

    Hopefully Blue Lily, Lily Blue will re-engage you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been hesitant to read this series because I disliked Shiver so much I had to DNF it. I do have Scorpio Races though and will be giving that a shot, maybe if I like it I will try this series.

    ReplyDelete