Monday, July 10, 2017

Review: The Winner's Curse

Title The Winner's Curse (The Winner Trilogy 1)
By Marie Rutkoski
Genre YA Fantasy
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Kestrel lives a highly privileged life as the daughter of a General. Her people revel in war and enslave those it conquers. As is tradition, Kestrel can marry or join the military but Kestrel dislikes both options. Music has her heart, that is until she inexplicably buys a slave who might love music too. Kestrel's life is about to be thrown into upheaval and she'll have to choose between her people and love.


First Sentence
She shouldn't have been tempted.


All my friends have been raving about this series....Like all of them. This made me very nervous. Usually when all my friends love a book or series I end up hating it. Luckily, this time was different. I adored this book. I got sucked in from page one and managed to inhale it in two sittings. Considering how crazy my life has been, it takes quite the book to steal what little downtime I have.

In fact, this is only the second book this year I've given 5 stars too. I'm very stingy with my stars, as you know, but this one deserved all 5 of them.

So, what did I love so much? I love these political intrigue books where much conniving and strategizing is going on but it's kept light enough for my little mind to wrap around. I also loved how the romance didn't take over the story and was very slow burning. I liked that there was resolution to this book but also a lot of setup for the books to come.

This book reminded me of old favorites like The Blue Sword by Robin Mckinley.  Perhaps that's why I really loved it so much. Whatever it was, love it I did and I can't wait to read the rest.

Should you read it
If I'm not the last person on the planet to have read this one, I'd highly recommend you go pick it up. You won't regret it.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! Sounds like I need to read The Blue Sword.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot soot! I'm so glad you loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to continue with this series, I also loved The Winner's Curse. I also love political intrigue and conniving, not sure what that says about me, but whatever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I'm so glad you ended up liking this! I seriously need to reread this series because it's been a while and you've just reminded me why I love it so much :) Lovely review, Jenny! I hope you enjoy the next two books just as much!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad you liked it, I love all the plotting and intrigue, it really made you think but not too much either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Blue Sword is one of my all-time favorite fantasy reads. So, if this book reminds you of that one it must be good. Glad it wasn't a bust. How many more books are there in this series?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really should read the rest of this series, after all. I wasn't going to, but I did love the first book. What can I say? You've kind of convinced me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was super lucky to read this book as an arc, but it already had huge buzz around it even back then. I loved the characters so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I read this as an ARC, but I never managed to write an actual review. (Oops.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this yet, but I've heard tons of great things about it. If YOU liked it, then I definitely need to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have such an odd, love/hate relationship with this series! I loved it, but it was too angsty at times and I had a hard time forcing myself to read the next book. I always knew it would put me through hell. Still, it was SO worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice that it's a 5 star! I like a little political intrigue in a fantasy book, and slow burn romances are always nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it when a book sucks you in right from page one! And for you to rate it 5 stars means I NEED to read it asap! Since I haven't even heard of this one, you are definitely not the last person on the planet to have read it! lol

    ReplyDelete