Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Review: Imaginary Girls

Title Imaginary Girls
By Nova Ren Suma
Genre YA Magic Realism
Rating ⭐️

Synopsis
Chloe has always lived in the shadow of her older sister Ruby. The girl the whole town is in love with. But Ruby raised Chloe when their deadbeat mom didn't so Chloe loves her as much or more than anyone else. When a horrible accident results in a girls death Chloe is taken away by her father but when Ruby comes back for her and Chloe goes back home, the truth of what really happened will come out.

First Sentence
Ruby said I'd never drown - not in deep ocean, not by shipwreck, not even by falling drunk into someone's bottomless backyard pool.


What the hell did I just read?! You see that cover and you're intrigued. You find the book for $2.00 at a thrift store and you have to buy it, right? So I did. I guess I should have realized it was probably at a thrift store for a reason.

I'm sorry but I feel like this book falls in that "Emperor's New Clothes" category. You know? Everyone is too afraid of looking stupid because they missed something so they all rave about how beautiful it is even though they're all wondering what the hell.

Yeah. I loathed Ruby. She got what ever she wanted and it made her an insufferable brat who didn't give a damn about anyone else. Oh, she claimed to love Chloe but if she'd really loved her she would have let her stay with her dad.

I'm pretty sure the author wants you to love Ruby but I hated her. If my opinion of the book was to be dependent on my opinion of Ruby...well...it's not good.

And Chloe drove me nuts too. She was so weirdly obsessed with Ruby it bordered on creepy. And it wasn't just the stupid characters that ruined this one but the completely unbelievable story line that was so twisted and nonsensical that I spent most of the book just angrily trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

Complete waste of time.

Should you read it
Um, no. 

17 comments:

  1. Guess I won't be reading this one! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why was Ruby telling her she'd never drown? Was she a mermaid? That's a weird thing to tell someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love this cover! I even used it in a Cover Characteristics post once or something. Bummer that it wasn't very good. Sometimes the cover is the best part of a book, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think that was the case with this one.

      Delete
  4. That cover is sure eye-catching but bummer about the story plot. Guess I'll have to give this a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when this book came out and everyone was going nuts for the cover. I don't think I could deal with a character like Ruby either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love the cover, but I didn't know what it was about. Now, I have no desire to read it. I guess it's a good thing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember being so excited to read this book when it came out. I loved the cover and the synopsis, but then it really fell flat for me. I didn't connect with the characters or their story. I didn't like Ruby either, or how weirdly obsessed everyone seemed to be with her. This book really grated on my nerves. I am in complete agreement with you, lol.

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Your one star reviews crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don’t feel like they’re too funny anymore. Aw well.

      Delete
  9. Bwahahahahaha! Guess I can skip this one. Bummer, though, because the cover is so, so pretty ...

    ReplyDelete