Thursday, March 22, 2018

Review: A Monster Calls

Title A Monster Calls
By Patrick Ness
Genre YA fiction
Format ebook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth. From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd-- whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself-- Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined. (From Goodreads)

First Sentence
The monster showed up just after midnight. 

I've been wanting to read this one forever but I knew it was going to be sad and hard to read, especially since my mother died of cancer.  I finally picked it up and flew through it. 

I loved the way this book captured grief. I loved it how so perfectly captured a 13 year old boy. I loved the fantasy/symbolic nature of the monster and how well it just worked. 

It wasn't as hard to read about as I thought (considering my mother) but it was hard. It's sad to watch anyone deal with the awful soul crushing grief of a loved one having cancer but watching a 13 year old deal with it broke my heart. 

I felt like the book still manages to end on a peaceful note and not leave you completely devastated which I was very grateful for. Highly recommend this one! 

18 comments:

  1. I love Patrick Ness, although this book isn't my favorite of his. I'm glad you liked it and that it wasn't as tough a read as you thought it would be. Stupid cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo! I haven't tried any of his others. I'll have to read some more.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad we're reading this one more book club. I've wanted to read his book for a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I’m glad we’re reading it too. Lots to discus.

      Delete
  3. I really like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! I loved this book as well! Have you seen the film yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the movie version of this and bought the book afterward! I still need to read it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you loved this!! I also loved the symbolic nature of the book and how in the end, the little boy's realization wasn't something that you were immediately expecting, but it's something that really helps you understand the boy (and grief in general) more. I really hope I'm able to see the movie soon!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it surprised me too but I loved it.

      Delete
  7. A Monster Calls is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited to read this, but a little scared too. Have you watched the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t seen the movie yet. It’s only for sale on amazon not for rent and I can’t find it anywhere else. These are the times I miss video stores.

      Delete
  9. I have been wanting to read this one but have been a bit hesitant, maybe it is time to finally pick it up.

    ReplyDelete