Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Review: The Girl From The Well

Title The Girl From The Well
By Rin Chupeco
Genre YA Horror
Format Audiobook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
She hunts serial killers, child killers, kills them. It's her life's work...or her after life's work. Three hundred years ago she was murdered and thrown down a well. She's spent years hunting the type of man that killed her and wreaking her revenge. When a strange boy with arms covered in tattoos crosses her path she finds herself drawn to him and the evil thing that follows him. Can she be more than just a destroyer of souls and save one instead?

First Sentence
I am where dead children go.

We have another one of those elusive 3 star reads to review so bear with me. I think what defines a 3 star read for me is that I'm enjoying it but not on the edge of my seat or dying to get back to it after setting it down. Does that make sense? No? Yeah I don't get it either. Anywho...

Ever see that movie The Ring? With the creepy girl that climbs out of the well and then the TV and kills people? This is a book about her. Whether the lore from the book was true or made up for the book I'm not sure but basically this poor girl loved and served her master who then betrayed her and sold her to this awful guy that killed her and threw her down a well. Needless to say, she was a bit miffed.

This book is also about a boy who's mother bound an evil spirit to him to keep it from going on a killing rampage. So, yeah. Fun stuff.

I found it creepy and enjoyable and it kept me very distracted on my long drive to Oregon over Labor Day weekend.

However, I'm just not sure how memorable it will be. So far I remember it just fine but in a few months I might not remember much. I never blame this one a story though but I always wonder if a book's memorable impact says anything about its worth???? Anyway, if you like horror books and like The Ring, I'd definitely give this one a read.

9 comments:

  1. I had this on my TBR list a few years ago, but then never got around to reading it. But I always wondered if it was any good. Glad to know its a readable 3-star book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya. Books like this (interesting enough to finish, but not overly original or memorable) get B- - C+ "grades" from me. Like you, I can't always explain why a book was a "meh" read, but sometimes they just are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don’t get it either. It was fun n to read a true horror book though. It was different.

      Delete
  3. I totally understand what you mean about those 3-stars reads. They're just OK, just didn't knock our socks off. That said, the premise sounds intriguing. I'll keep this book in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It’s hard to review and I’ve read several lately.

      Delete
  4. Oooh! I love reads like this for October! I'll definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ring movie was based off a series of books by Koji Suzuki, although Samara (Sadako in the books) is older, telepathic, and intersexed and is thrown into the well by after being attacked by a doctor- during which time she gets infected with smallpox- which her vengeful spirit morphs into a killer virus... so the books are more science-y. The Girl From the Well is based on folklore (and I'm sure the Ring drew inspiration from it too). After seeing The Ring, I went on a Japanese horror book reading spree- Suzuki also wrote the story the movie Dark Water is based off, and I also fell in love with Battle Royale- which led to me getting excited for Hunger Games all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete