Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Title The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles 1)
By  Mary E. Pearson
Pages 266
Recommended by Me


First sentence I used to be someone.


Synopsis
When Jenna Fox wakes up from a coma she's told she was in an accident. As she struggles to regain her memories she finds out more than she wanted to know about the accident and how far her parents were willing to go for their adoration of her.

What it has going for it
One word: Engrossed! I was so freaking engrossed the whole time I read this book; it only took two sittings. The writing style was perfect for the story, with short simple sentences. I was fascinated with the depth of the book. See, in my opinion, this wasn't a story, not really, but rather a treasure trove of symbolism. There's so many ideas and questions and discussions on ethics to be had. It's a book that deserves not only to be read but pondered and discussed. You can't NOT discuss this book. I even bought it for my sister so she could read and discuss with me! I'm still reeling with the thoughts and feeling this one provoked.

What's lacking
And now you're going to laugh at me. I'm not a huge fan of symbolism; I think it's too flashy and pretentious. Just tell me what you mean! I did think it worked very well for this story, though, so I'm not really complaining about that. The only thing that bothered me was I'm still not sure I ACTUALLY liked the book. Oh, it had me thinking and pondering but did I like where the characters ended up? Did I like what was concluded and not concluded in the end? I don't know! See why I'm frustrated? That's what I hate about symbolism, it messes with your head! I'll read the second book, but I think it's going to be more of an actual story and less of this deep all consuming symbolism. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm just not sure.

Yea or nay?
Yes, if for nothing else then to open your mind to all the ideas and questions this book presents. And it was engrossing, after all. ;)

23 comments:

  1. Great review! I love the way you touched on the symbolism, which I thought was a big theme in The Adoration of Jenna Fox too. This particular book wasn't for me, but I know a lot of people have really enjoyed it!

    Courtney @ Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was dripping with symbolism so it's hard to miss.

      Delete
  2. Oh, alright I'll go start it... JK I've been meaning to all day I'll go get after it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do that! Quick before I forget everything. ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like something I will really enjoy. This is why I keep my TBR list beside the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like it. If you end up reading it, I look forward to your review.

      Delete
  4. Seems like this one really has you on the fence...I can understand why, as an overuse of symbolism would be distracting for me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I probably should have waited till I figured out how I really felt till I wrote the review but maybe I'll never know.

      Delete
  5. "And now you're going to laugh at me. I'm not a huge fan of symbolism; I think it's too flashy and pretentious. Just tell me what you mean! I did think it worked very well for this story, though, so I'm not really complaining about that."

    I'm the exact same way! But, when I read East of Eden, I loved the symbolism! Every other book I've read, I hated it.

    "The only thing that bothered me was I'm still not sure I ACTUALLY liked the book."

    Ha ha ha! That's hilarious! It's okay to like a book once in a while. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH! I've been interested in this one for a long time but I haven't gone out of my way to read it. I kept hearing a lot of good stuff about it too. Not just that it was good, but it was one of those intense novels that gets people talking. Which I'm getting from your review too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always enjoy a book that you can really discuss.

      Delete
  7. Awesome review! The cover is so enchanting! Sounds like something I might enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The copy I read actually had a different cover but this one has the symbolism factor that I just couldn't resist.

      Delete
  8. I so cannot handle symbolism. I just don't care. Get on with the action! Sheesh. I may be too obsessive about books to read this one. I don't need another thing to be nuts about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really didn't bother me in this one and I was engrossed enough with what story there was that it was still enjoyable.

      Delete
  9. Argh, I didn't know this is the first in a series!!!! I'll hang on, then. I've got a copy on my shelf but I'm tired of reading first-in-series books and then having to wait, wait, wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one is already out and more of a companion novel. This one stands on it's own just fine.

      Delete
  10. An interesting review! I hadn't thought about just how much symbolism this one relies on. The next does have more story, but still plenty of introspection and thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it relies on so much symbolism I'm not sure anything actually happened. ;)

      Delete
  11. I keep hearing fabulous things about this book but I have yet to read it for myself! I love books with symbolism though...even if its frustrating when you can't figure it out...so I'm sure I'll enjoy that aspect of the novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like symbolism I think you'll like this one.

      Delete