Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Review: The Fill-In Boyfriend

Title The Fill-In Boyfriend
By Kasie West
Genre YA Contemporary Romance
Pages 352

Synopsis
Gia is in the IN crowd and she wants to keep it that way. But when her College boyfriend dumps her in the parking lot at prom she's devastated. Her friends have been hanging with a new girl who has it out for her. If her friends think she made her boyfriend up she'll never hear the end of it. Enter the poor sap she sees in the parking lot and convinces to pretend to be her boyfriend for the night. Things are about to get complicated.


First Sentence
In some part of my brain, probably the logical part that seemed to be missing at the moment, I knew I should let go and walk away, maintain some of my dignity.

What it has going for it
I love, love, LOVE the fake boyfriend troupe. I really do. I know it's always the same but I just can't help myself. If I hear mention of a fake boyfriend in a synopsis the book might as well say, "free slice of cake with purchase". Done and done! So...yeah, this one had one of my favorite troupes in it and it had all the things that go along with that troupe that I enjoy.

What's lacking
Sadly, besides my enjoyment of the fake boyfriend scenario, this one kind of fell flat for me. Gia was the biggest beotch at the beginning of this one. Yeah, yeah, I know! That was kind of the point. We're supposed to watch her change, come clean and become a better person but, I don't know, it was just so so for me. See, if you're going to write a story with a been there done that plot it needs to pop! Either with humor or amazing characters or a fun twist. Something! I was just underwhelmed. I really wanted to like it. Sigh!

Yea or Nay
Uh, sure. Give it a read. Just don't expect it to stand out or stay in your memory for long.

17 comments:

  1. I've seen similar reviews with people saying they were underwhelmed. Such a shame! I've really liked this author's previous work, and I love the fake boyfriend trope too! But I can just tell this book will be blah. Might still read it, but I don't have high expectations. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't read Pivot Point yet but I hope it's better than this one.

      Delete
  2. Sorry it fell flat. The idea certainly makes it sound fun, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Kasie West's Pivot Point books, but I'm not really into her contemporary romance stuff. I wish she would write something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Pivot Point yet. I hope I like it better than this one.

      Delete
  4. LOL -- I'm not wild about the fake boyfriend troupe, actually. I usually like Kasie West's books, though, at least when I'm in the mood for fluff. I'll probably give this one a go, but I'm not moving it to the top of my TBR mountain chain or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fluff. You don't like the fake boyfriend troupe?! No!!!! :)

      Delete
  5. I find them (her contemporary romances) fun and cute and happy. Perfect for when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing, which is pretty much all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was cute, it just didn't stand out and make me hold me breath for the romance.

      Delete
  6. I love fake boyfriend tropes as well... even if they are all the same. Sometimes it's nice just not think and enjoy the ride. Sucks that the MC wasn't a more enjoyable read though. :\

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read a fake boyfriend book. I didn't even know it was thing that was done, lol. I would've thought this was an original idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! What? Hmmm, now I'll have to think of a good one to recommend for you.

      Delete
  8. I love the fake boyfriend/girlfriend trope as well but only if the characters are likeable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer that this one fell flat for you, but at least you got to enjoy the fake boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete