Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review: Storm Siren

Title Storm Siren (Storm Siren book 1) 
By Mary Weber
Genre YA Fantasy 
Pages 320

Synopsis
Nym has spent her life as a slave being sold from master to master. She's an Elemental. Her kind is only born male and usually killed at birth. Her newest master knows what she is and plans on using her. Cast into a world of politics and danger Nym must learn to control her powers before it's too late.


First Sentence "Fourteen circles for fourteen owners."



What it has going for it
I read Storm Siren on a whim. It came up on Amazon as a Kindle Daily Deal. I loved the cover and after downloading a sample and enjoying the witty writing and plot set up I decided to give it a go. I love the idea of a girl who can control the weather, one who's broken and tortured for the deaths she's accidentally caused. I loved the idea that she was going to be used as a tool to win a war. I loved the idea that the man who was going to train her to control her powers was handsome with beautiful green eyes and an ability to calm her and keep her under control. I loved the idea that there were two characters who's friendship with Nym would teach her to trust and have fun again. I loved the idea that Nym was more powerful than she ever could have imagined and that she was beginning to understand and control her powers at last.

What's lacking
 The problem was, that I loved all the ideas but the execution fell flat. For me, this was a book full of great ideas and all the right ingredients but somewhere in the mixing process something went wrong. I had to force myself to keep reading. I wanted to be patient and understanding of poor Nym but I also wanted to see her go all badass and unleash the full extent of her powers with more finesse and skill. This is only the first book in the series so maybe all that comes later but I don't have the patience to find out. I won't be finishing the series even if the author threw in a cheap slap in the face cliffhanger at the end. Especially because the author threw in a cheap slap in the face cliffhanger at the end.

Yea or Nay?
My dislike for this one may be unique to me. It did have all the right ingredients and humor I usually love but it just ended up disappointing.

10 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this book everywhere! It's a shame the execution wasn't great though, because the premise really does sound interesting. I'm really not a fan of just for shock-value cliffhangers either. Sorry you didn't love this one, but thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have just been bad to me. It might work for others. The cliffhanger ending was just plain frustrating though.

      Delete
  2. That's a shame because I love the idea of a girl who can control the weather. Very Storm from X-Men! And the cover is amazing. I might pick it up and just see if it's an okay read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. It sounded so good. I was loving all of the ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it had great ideas. It just didn't work for me.

      Delete
  4. It is very frustrating when great ideas are poorly executed. You can see the potential, and the author just didn't deliver! So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry the great ideas weren't fully executed for you! It's nice you gave it a chance and pushed through, but if you do read the next book, I hope you like it much more!

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sucks. I've read quite a few books that for all intents and purposes I should have loved but it all fell flat for me. There's nothing worse than reading a book that you feel disconnected from and you can't figure out why. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete