Monday, November 16, 2015

Review: Unravel Me

Title Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
By Tahereh Mafi
Genre YA Paranormal/Supernatural
Pages 461

Synopsis
Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.
She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. (From Goodreads)








First Sentence 
The world might be sunny-side up today.



What it has going for it
Oh, boy! These books truly drive me crazy!!!! I don't even know why I'm finishing this series. The writing. OK, I know most people think it's the most beautiful, poetic writing they've ever heard, and, yeah, there's a sentence or two worth admiring but, guys, these books could be like 200 pages smaller if it would just tell the freaking story and stop with all the fluffy, endless stream of words that make me want to strangle myself!! What? I'm supposed to be talking about the good stuff this book has going on? Oh yeah, um...there's this one scene, a certain romantic scene near the end that was absolutely beautiful. I was breathless. I also keep reading, I suppose, because I would like to see where the story goes. That's about all there is to say about that.


What's lacking
Well, I already mentioned the writing so I won't say anymore about it. I will, however begin now to complain about the characters. Juliette is the most over-dramatic, whiny, self deprecating, annoying character I've ever read about! Oh my freak! I want to reach into the pages, slap her face and say: "Hey, you are a woman! You are powerful! You have two men madly in love with you and guess, what? You don't need them! Girl, you have got to figure out how wonderful and amazing you are all by yourself! You don't need these men or Omega Point or anything else to make you mean something. You're that all on your own! Now quit whining and get out there and kick some ass!!!" Or something to that effect. Ugh, at least she sort of snaps out of it from time to time in this one, but the minute a man walks into her life (Adam, Warner, Castle, Kenji, Anderson) she falls apart. Grr! These books are incredibly sexist!


Yea or Nay?
Uh, I seem to be the only one, (once again) who has a problem with this series. So, go ahead and read it. Just look forward to men belittling women, way, way, way too much flowery writing and weak pathetic woman. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Ahh this series! I'm always torn because I absolutely agree with most of your thoughts, and yet at the same time, I find these books so addictive. Juliette! The only good thing I have to say is that she at least improves from how how she was in book one. By book three she is ten thousand times better, way less whiny, and actually willing to take action (which is one reason why book three is my favourite. Another is because of Warner, who grew on me in Unravel Me but stepped up in the last book). If you ever do make it to Ignite Me, I'd be interested to see your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I fully intend to finish the series. Sooner rather than later. I am curious what's going to happen and I would hope Juliette gets stronger and not so dang whiny! I just hope I can stand the endless flow of useless words!

      Delete
  2. I'd probably be one of the people who love this series, maybe. I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a little too wordy for you too. I think you'd like it though...mostly.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha. I haven't given this series a go yet. One of these days ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I couldn't get past the first book when Adam had just gotten shot and had to take his shirt off and they were still being shot at and all Juliette could do was describe how cut his abs were. That was the end of this series for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone!!! I also thought the writing in the first book was awful! I felt bad not giving the second book a shot because everyone else seemed to love it so much, but the narration style was so grating to me that I couldn't do it! I'm glad to hear you felt the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my.....I can't stand weak, pathetic characters! Especially when the weakling is actually powerful but doesn't act like it! I may pick this one up just to finish the series, but won't put it at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete