Friday, November 13, 2015

Review: The Well-Rested Mother


Title The Well-Rested Mother
By Brittney Smart
Genre Non Fiction Coffee Table Book
Pages 38
Synopsis
You might be wondering what this book is and why you should read it. Let me help you out on both counts.
First, The Well-Rested Mother is an anthology of arguably underwhelming insights that I’ve gained as a person and as a parent (specifically, a mother) of five young kids. And by “insights,” I of course mean, “random thoughts and stories that may or may not have anything to do with child-rearing or parenting.”
This book is meant to be lighthearted, faintly amusing, and spattered with gentle sarcasm and self-deprecating humor. Likely it won’t change your life, improve your ninja prowess, or make those last stubborn five pounds magically disappear.
As for the reason why you should read this book, that’s an easy one. It’s because you’ve already read a hundred books about improving your life, being better in areas X, Y, and Z, losing weight, being happy, making millions, and being more productive. This book isn't one of them, so you can consider it a valuable branching-out experience. An expansion of viewpoints. An exceptional sample of literary mediocrity. (From Goodreads)


First Sentence
I know now that I know nothing about cars.


What it has going for it
If you didn't read the synopsis of this one, go back and read it. It's hilarious and explains far better than I could what this little gem is. And what it is, is a delight to read. Short and sweet with fun insights from a mom that are both relatable and humorous. The best part was, I finished it and sort of thought I wouldn't be thinking of it again but I was wrong. I have been thinking about it all day. And one thing is for sure. I wish Brittney and I were friends.


"And as much as I'd like a visible six pack and a definitive glute-hamstring separation, I'm not willing to put in what it takes.
But there's good news, and I'll share it with you. I've discovered a little thing I like to call "Abs of Faith." You might have them too:
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)
And, as far as abs are concerned, that's starting to be good enough for me."
(Location 330)


What's Lacking
I wanted to see this one in hardcover form. With pictures and silky paper. The ebook was good enough but I wished it was a real-life coffee table book. That's really my only complaint.


Yea or Nay?
I'd highly recommend this one. It's a quick ten minute read that will leave you smiling.


My thanks to the author for a copy of this book to review.


11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book for my friends with children, although I wish it were in physical form too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't have kids and I still enjoyed it but it might be better for someone with kids. A hard copy would be great to give as a gift.

      Delete
  2. What a kind review, Jenny! Thank you. And, yes, let's be friends. Annnnnd since we're friends now, I know you won't judge me by the sheer quantities of ice cream I'm consuming this weekend while my husband is out of town... 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course not! But if you have some peppermint ice cream I'll have to have a bowl. :)

      Delete
  3. I always like it when moms keep it real. I can't relate to anything else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great read for when I'm not slogging through my YA dystopians. Adding it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a super fast fun read that's a nice break. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I think I need this book, like right now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete