Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Review: A Madness so Discreet

Title A Madness so Discreet
By Mindy McGinnis
Genre YA suspense
Rating ⭐⭐⭐

Synopsis
Grace is in an insane asylum. She doesn't speak. The ever growing bulge in her belly speaks for her. Speaks of the dark secrets of her family that landed her there. Rescue comes in the form of a faked lobotomy and a strange doctor who is making strides in a new form of solving murders. Grace's eye for detail is put to use and her new home and friends make life worth living again. But can she escape her past or will her past catch up to her?

First Sentence
They all had their terrors.



This is one of those books I bought based solely on the cover. Isn't it a beautiful cover? It's a more metaphorical depiction of the story within its pages, however.

So, I started this one and was not liking it...at all. I was rather bored and wanted to know where it was going. I actually set it aside to finish another book I was working on and when I came back to it I gulped it down in a few hours. I guess I just wasn't in the mood the first time or maybe it just took a bit to get going? I'm not sure but either way I ended up liking it.

While I found a lot of it highly unlikely and unrealistic I easily overlooked those things and just fell into the story. The characters were all great. I loved that good people were to be found in even the darkest of places.

This one was a sad story with a lot of hard things to read about but offered hope in the end. I really ended up liking it and am glad I picked it up based on that lovely cover.

Should you read it?
I would highly recommend this one. Know that's it's a tough one to read and a bit sad but worth it.


9 comments:

  1. I want to read it just solely based on the cover, lol. So, I know why you picked it up! I'm glad you ended up liking it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the cover is very beautiful, but when I read your synopsis, I was like eh. It is a good think you took a break and came back. I should try doing that with some books. It might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this is the first time that's worked for me.

      Delete
  3. It is a great cover; I would have picked it up based on that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one, too. In fact, I've enjoyed all the McGinnis books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover as well! It's so gorgeous :) I'm planning on buying a hardcover copy for my shelves. I'm so glad you liked the book itself as well! I enjoyed it too: the madness theme was so beautifully portrayed and the writing is amazing! Lovely review, Jenny!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I'll ever read it, but that cover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete