Saturday, March 25, 2017

Tag-I'm It


I saw this tag on Kara's blog. She got it from some one else but I thought I'd just link to her and participate. Mostly so there's more than just book reviews on my blog. Sigh! So here we go and feel free to tag yourself and participate. 

1. What book has been on your shelf the longest?

I'm going to go with Clear and Present Danger by Tom Clancy my first book purchase. I have a few children books that my mom got me for Christmas when I was a kid but I'm not counting those.

2. What is your current read, your last read, and the book you’ll read next?

Current: The One & Only by Emily Giffin. Needed a light book after Version Control by Dexter Palmer...which answers what my last read was. Next I'll probably be rereading Bone Gap for book club or reading The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer....Jenni??? 

3. What book did everyone like, but you hated? 

Um, everything? No, but it often feels that way. I'll go with Code Name Verity. I just read it and didn't like it but I feel like everyone else adored it.

4. What book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?

Not sure, probably one of those pesky classics I feel obligated to read but don't want to. 

5. What book are you saving for retirement?

Um, no idea. There's still so many books to be released before I'll retire. What it if it's one of them? 

6. Last page: read it first, or wait ’til the end?

I used to read the last page of books all the time. Now I never do. I know I'll get there eventually. 

7. Acknowledgement: waste of paper and ink, or interesting aside?

I always read them. I may skip over the names of people that mean nothing to me but I like to read them. Some are quite funny. 

8. Which book character would you switch places with?

Oh dear. I don't know. These questions are hard. Any character living in London??? I really want to live in London. 

9. Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life? (Place, time, person?)

Speaking of London. I've been there twice and on my first trip I read Interview with a Vampire and started reading Dracula. So both those books remind me of London. 

10. Name a book that you acquired in an interesting way. 

The Lovely Bones. I used to work at a hotel and someone left it behind in one of the rooms. One of the housekeepers brought it to lost and found and I picked it up and started to read it. I loved it so much that I ended up bringing it home and having my mom read it. Still have it...and don't worry. The rightful owner never came back for it. 

11. Have you ever given a book away for a special reason to a special person?

Not that I can think of. I remember liking The Adoration of Jenna Fox and wanting a certain sister of mine to read it. I bought her a copy. 

12. Which book has been with you most places?

Um, if you count all the books on my phone...a lot. But I'll go with Odd Interlude (A Odd Thomas novel by Dean Koontz). I brought it with me on a Mediterranean cruise. Didn't get much reading done but it did see Italy, France, Spain, Croatia, Germany, and Sicily. That's something, right? 

13. Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad two years later?
I was homeschooled so I didn't have required reading. I read whatever my little heart desired. 

14. Used or brand new?
Both.

15. Have you ever read a Dan Brown book?

Sadly, yes. I read The Da Vinci Code when everyone else was. I thought it was mediocre. Dan Brown has the most annoying habit in his writing of creating suspense by having characters say, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" And then ending the chapter. It got incredibly tiresome. 

16. Have you ever seen a movie you liked more than the book?

17. Have you ever read a book that’s made you hungry, cookbooks included?

So many! One that sticks out is Sweethearts by Sara Zarr. That stupid pink sugar cookie on the front drove me crazy! 

18. Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?

Me. Sorry, but its true. I don't always pick winners but I have a pretty good idea what I'll like. So if anyone says to read a book I'll definitely check it out but in the end I decided whether I'll read it or not.

19. Is there a book out of your comfort zone (e.g., outside your usual reading genre) that you ended up loving?

Once upon a time I hated reading fantasy. Anything fantasy I'd avoid. Then my sister got me to read Harry Potter and, well, here we are. There's not really a genre I won't give a shot to now. 

That was fun! Join if you'd like. 

15 comments:

  1. I'm going to read City of Fallen Angels and then I'll be ready to read The Chemist. Does that work? I just need to reread a favorite because this month has been kind of evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, March has been bad. Let me know when you're ready.

      Delete
  2. I never read Clear and Present Danger but I did like the movie. I honestly don't remember my first book purchase with my own money, but the oldest book on my shelf is my copy of The Client. My mom gave me her copy (my first "adult" read) when they cleaned out their house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the movie too. I was so obsessed with it that I bought and read the book at a pretty young age considering its content.

      Delete
  3. Most people when they travel leave the book behind that they finished anyway. I am sure that you did exactly what they were hoping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think so. I should have passed it on but I loved it too much.

      Delete
  4. I'm totally making Kim do this with me! I loved reading your answers, and love the Odd got to see all those gorgeous locations! I feel exactly the same way about Dan Brown... but I also feel that a lot of "popular" authors aren't necessarily all that great. Well, except for Stephen King (and Dean Koontz, when he's not phoning it in). <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Stephen King is great. Koontz's other books are a hit or a miss with me. I love the Odd books but his others...not so much.

      Delete
  5. Jenny, you used to read the ending WHAT, lol, what made you stop doing that?

    Code Name V intrigued me but I never went for it.

    I absolutely loved the book Lovely Bones.

    I enjoyed reading your answers. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I never read the end any more. At some point I think it just stopped occurring to me to do that.

      Delete
  6. What a fun tag! I can't even remember the book that's been on my shelf the longest... And I always read the acknowledgements too! I find them really interesting and they can be pretty funny as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved doing this one. It had some unique questions. It was fun!

      Delete
  7. HP is what got me into reading kids' books as an adult. Before that, I would have been embarrassed to be seen reading a teen or middle grade book in public. Now I do it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you joined in! It's a fun group of questions. :) And goodness have you traveled! London, Mediterranean cruise....wow. I dream of doing such things someday. Also, I so agree, Acknowlegement Pages can be so hilarious. I love to read them!

    ReplyDelete