Monday, September 18, 2017

Review: Jane Unlimited

Title Jane Unlimited
By Kristin Cashore
Genre Magic Realism
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Before her Aunt Magnolia died, she made Jane promise if she ever got invited to the elusive Tu Reviens house to go. Such and invitation has come and Jane, true to her word goes. But no one could have prepared her for the crazy world she's about to enter.


First Sentence
The house on the cliff looks like a ship disappearing into fog.





How I came upon this book was a stroke of pure luck. No, publishers weren't pounding at my door or littering my inbox with requests to read the newest book by one of my favorite authors. No, I'm not one of those bloggers. However, one of THOSE bloggers received an ARC of this book in THEIR mail and they, hopefully after reading it, donated it to my local thrift store. Imagine my delight when a book not even published yet fell into my lap because I happened to be at the right place at the right time. And if that wasn't good enough, I only paid a dollar fifty for it. Giddiness ensued.

So, I quickly lapped it up. For some reason I thought this was going to be a fantasy novel like Cashore's other books. I was WAY off! This reads more like a contemporary NA and a choose your own adventure. At first, that's what I thought it was but there was no instructions to skip ahead to a certain page for such and such choice so I read it front to back. (which, I saw later in the author's notes, was exactly how she meant for it to be read)

I enjoyed reading all the different possibilities Jane's choices presented. I'm glad it wasn't a choose your own adventure because the endings of some of those choices were pretty gloom and unsatisfying. Seeing how they all coincided was fun too.

I loved how real all the characters felt. Cashore does such a great job with her characters. By the end of the book you feel like you actually know these people. I adored Jasper the very best. I'm sorry, but basset hounds are my favorite type of dog and, yes, he's only a dog but animals are often the very best of characters. Am I right?  I loved him so much!

I found Jane's umbrella making fascinating to read about. I loved what a unique talent it was. I've never read a book about someone who makes umbrellas, have you? No? Exactly. It was so fun. And it was interesting seeing each different umbrella she created with each different choice.

The house. Oi! On the one hand I want to visit this crazy house and on the other I want to stay far far away from it. A house full of art with a indoor pool, bowling alley and atrium on its own island surrounded by the ocean...yes please. But I could do with out that creepy library. Yes, I called a library creepy. Read the book and you'll know why.

I won't go on and on anymore. I think I've praised the book enough. You'll notice I only gave it three stars and perhaps you're wondering why if I appear to have loved it so much. Well, I'll tell you. ;) I found it a titch long and a little slow moving at parts. And books like these tend to get a tiny bit repetitive. But other than that it was a delightful journey. One I found unique and entertaining.

Should you read it
This book is in bookstores September 19th and yes, I'd recommend you go pick yourself up a copy.

20 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I used to ADORE Choose Your Own Adventure books! I've been hearing lots of good things about this one. It definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Glad you find it worthwhile, despite a few flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little scared about this one now. I don't like choose your own adventure, but I guess this isn't but feels like it? Yes, animals make the best characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan either. This one is like one but isn't one.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you loved it, even if it was too long. Isn't it a bit of fantasy just not high fantasy? I'll get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd call it fantasy. More magic realism.

      Delete
  4. This one sounds different and fun! Especially when it has basset hounds and a crazy/cool house. I'm in. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've me intrigued with this book! It sounds like both a fun and refreshing read. Will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 stars are always interesting reviews. Sometimes I give a really positive 3 star and sometimes it's a really negative one. I totally agree, animals are the best characters. I get so angry when bad things happen to an animal character but when it's a human I'm like...eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I love animals in books more than humans.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a pretty unique read. I'm putting it on my wishlist. That's pretty funny that some publisher may have gotten a twofer on this one thanks to your thrift store! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I almost feel guilty but they got another reviewer so...

      Delete
  8. Love that first sentence! Sets a moody tone. I didn't really know what this was about but you had me at choose your own adventure. The idea of multiple possibilities really intrigues me, I'm a sucker for books like that. I'll definitely be looking for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the arc, and I meant to read it but you know how that goes. I really loved her books Graceling, Fire and Bitterblue, so while I was a little disappointed that this book wasn't set in the same world, I'm still looking forward to it. I might grab it on audio! I'm glad you liked it, even if it was a 4 or 5 star. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very different from her other books. I look forward to your review when you read it.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read anything by this author, but the plot of this book seems fairly interesting!

    ReplyDelete