Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Review: The Simplicity of Cider

Title The Simplicity of Cider
By Amy Reichert
Genre Adult Romance, Magic Realism
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis 
Sanna has lived on her families apple farm her whole life. She loves the life. Her cider making has consumed her life, so much so, that she's only just becoming aware of how badly things are going for the farm. With the arrival of the handsome Isaac and his son Bas, Sanna's troubles are just getting started.

First Sentence
Sanna Lund's thoughts of apple blossoms and new cider blends stuttered to an end with the grunt of her dad's snore.




My friend Kami discovered this author this year and loves her books. Since she and I have some similarities in our tastes for books, I knew I'd have to give this author a shot. This one popped up on Overdrive so I downloaded and started listening.

What a cute little book! When I need a comfort read I reach for Sarah Addison Allen or Emily Giffin but since I'm coming to the end of reading everything they've written I needed a new go-to author. Amy Reichert will be great.

I liked the setting of this book. I'm not a huge apple fan but I swear I could smell apples while reading it. I even bought some apples (rare for me) and snarfed them down because of this book. The setting sounded heavenly. A cute little touristy town with apple orchards, a lake, and yummy food, sign me up.

The characters were your typical small town characters. I wasn't blown away by them but I liked them and wished the best for them. Bas was adorable. I feel for that kid!

The story was great too. Not too heavy but it had plenty of substance. I struggled a little becoming emotionally invested but it got me in the end.

With just a touch of magic and a whole lot of drama and romance, I liked this one and can't wait to try more by this author.

  Should you read it
If this one sounds like your type, you should definitely read it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

14 comments:

  1. Hey, if a book can make you go out and buy fruit I think it has done its job! This sounds like a great read and not the kind of romance that will make me tear my hair out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It wasn't that annoying kind of romance at all!

      Delete
  2. Always good to have some go-to authors! I haven't read Reichert, but I do love Sarah Addison Allen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like SAA you should check our Reichart.

      Delete
  3. This sounds adorable! Even the title has a certain ring to it :) This is definitely something I'd love to read during January with a mug of hot apple cider. It's always so great to have those authors that you can reach for when you're feeling like some comfort reading. Lovely review, Jenny!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drinking cider while reading this one would be perfect.

      Delete
  4. Okie dokie. Not to this book then. I don't like books that make me want to eat things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it makes you want to eat apples not junk food. Though they do talk about apple desserts a lot. :(

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun read. And I love books with orchards setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's making me want to buy some hard apple cider, lol.

    OverDrive is my jam! 😍

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in a little touristy town on the river with apple orchards and fruit stands, so I love these kinds of settings. They make me feel at home, especially if the author can make them really come alive. I'll have to give this book a go. I love the cover and the story sounds good, too, even if it isn't mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it. You'll have to let me know if she really captures the setting.

      Delete
  8. I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED IT!! I was worried I'd hyped these books up too much. They are not amazing, but they are fun and cute.

    ReplyDelete