Friday, June 22, 2018

Review: The Outsiders

Title The Outsiders
By S.E Hinton
Genre YA Classic
Format Print
Rating ⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Ponyboy has only ever known the life of a "Greaser". Keep your head down and stay away from Socs but when a fight between the Greasers and the Socs goes wrong, Ponyboy's life gets turned upside down.

First Sentence
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I only had two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.



There's plenty of classics out there that I haven't read and that, quite frankly,  I probably never will. The Outsiders was one I wasn't particularly interested in but I recently found out how young the author was when she wrote and and I became intrigued.

While I can see why it's considered a classic and had some surprisingly sound writing, I wasn't blown away by it. I only found it somewhat interesting and didn't really connect to any of the characters.

I found some of it a bit unbelievable and the lack of character growth depressing but at least it was a quick read and I can say I've read it now...right?

17 comments:

  1. The next one she wrote, That was Then, This is Now isn't much better. I had to read both in school and never really liked either one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you hear that? It's the sound of my heart breaking. I adored this book and the movie and it was a really pivotal part of my teens. It's the book Katie McGarry cites as saving her life. I am very sad it didn't work for you, but I get that we can't love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I’m sorry. It’s so heartbreaking when a beloved book isn’t loved by everyone. Hope you can forgive me.

      Delete
  3. I've never read it but I did like the movie, dated as it is. Plus it's hilarious to see all those actors in their younger days. I mean, wow. Sorry it was a bit lackluster though, I've thought about reading but have just never taken the plunge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t seen the movie either. I might have to watch it now.

      Delete
  4. I never read this one. I had the option to in high school, but I think I picked up Bel Canto instead. Looks like I didn't miss much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was OK and it means a lot to a ton of people but sadly I wasn’t impressed.

      Delete
  5. I feel like you've been having a rough time with books lately! They just don't seem to be very good fits... whenever this happens to be, I try to go back and read past favorites! I hope your next book is AMAZING. <3

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I’ve been feeling pretty luke warm about everything lately. I have read some good ones. Reviews coming soon.

      Delete
  6. I saw the movie many years ago and liked it, but I never felt the need to read the book. I am sorry you seem to have a bit of a streak with books that are not that good or fun to read. I hope you will soon have a couple of truely great books again!

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope so too. Such is the life of an avid reader. There’s bound to be some bad ones in the mix.

      Delete
  7. It's been a looonnnggg time since I've read THE OUTSIDERS, but I remember liking it when I was a kid. I wonder what I'd think of it now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I would have liked it more as a teen.

      Delete
  8. I've been very interested in this one lately, too. I think I'm going to feel like you if I don't really like it and still be glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha this sounds like almost every thought I've had after reading a 'classic'. Sometimes I'll come across a classic that has stood the test of time in a good way but it sounds like this one is not one of those books.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete