Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: Possesion

Title Possession
By Elana Johnson
For Fun
Source I own it

First sentence Good girls don't walk with boys.



Synopsis
I don't know! It's supposed to be dystopian but I think it felt much more science fiction. I can't even begin to explain what this one was about. If you don't know what this one's about for some reason you can click here.

General thoughts
So confused. I had an array of emotions while reading this. At first I liked that it was just jumping into the action without a bunch of annoying explanation, even though it was a bit confusing. Then I found myself bored with it and completely forgetting about and not caring what was going on when I wasn't reading. Then...I think I finally figured it out. It was like a cool dream. You know the type. The kind that's awesome, kinda romantic, funny and unique...and then you wake up; that logical side of your brain informing you how the dream didn't really make sense at all.  It doesn't change the fact that the dream is remembered fondly as something that was cool and adventurous but it definitely makes you wonder about your psyche. So, I guess I sort of liked it. I liked some of the tech ideas and the powers. I enjoyed the whole concept of control or be controlled. I was happy it jumped into the action without too much explanation and I laughed at several lines, however, I'm not sure I'll remember this one at all. It will hold as much space in my brain as a wacky dream.  Plus I didn't like Jag but that's no surprise, I ALWAYS like the "other" guy. Sigh.

Characters
Violet Well, she was definitely feisty and had attitude but her insta-love for Jag kinda ruined her for me.
Jag Blech! What's with his "babe" If a guy calls me babe I'll sock him in the face. Plus he and Violet acted like thirteen.
Zenn Much better but I would have liked to get to know him when he wasn't under mind control. Plus I hated the light thrown on him at the end. What? Was that so we wouldn't feel bad for him?
Ty I hardly got to know her.
Thane Ooookay? I'm so confused.
Pace Hardly got to know him either but I'd like to. (Wink, wink, if you know what I mean?)

Would I recommend it?
Uh, sure, but don't expect it to be memorable.

8 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of this book. Mostly, though, they've been confused reviews. I'm not sure I'll read it any time soon, even though she's a Utah author. I hope that's not mean, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finished Illusions, so this one is up next! Sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenni, It was very weird but I can't even figure out why...sigh!

    Suey, Well, it was weird, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I like the dream analogy. I just couldn't get into it, but I'm glad it clicked for you while you were reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this one from the library & was going to start it today. I'll know to manage my expectations, because it seems like we like/dislike the same things. Also, I'm pretty sure "babe" is the most cringe-worthy thing someone could call me. yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, Yeah, as long as I thought of it as a weird dream it all made sense.

    Kathy, Isn't it?! Blech! I'd hate to be called that. I'm interested in what you end up thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story was so incredibly incohesive in that it never really had a story that I could follow from the beginning to the end. I definitely got lost along the way quite a few times and had to figure out what was trying to happen with the characters.

    I liked the crazy ending, but that really was about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kaye, Oh, you know you LOVED it. ;) You have to you admit, if it had been a dream you would have thought it was pretty awesome...until you woke up, anyway.

    ReplyDelete