Thursday, May 26, 2016

30 Days of Books: Day 8 & 9


I'm doing two days today!
Day 8: Most overrated book

Red Rising was popping up all over the blogoshpere when I was getting back into blogging so I snatched it up as a Kindle Daily Deal...and couldn't even finish it. It started out with promise and then just turned into a Hunger Games without the story line. The MC didn't even believe in what he was doing so why should I? Ugh! I really don't get the love for this one. 

Day 9: A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

So many people had negative things to say about this one and if it weren't a retelling of Beauty and the Beast I might not have read it. There was talk of another Edward like love interest. But I decided to give it a go and Oh. My. Gosh! I loved this book! It was the most beautiful blend of fantasy and mythology with sacrifice and and and! I just can't say enough! 

19 comments:

  1. Haha, this is funny to me because I'm your total opposite on those two. Part of the problem for Cruel Beauty was that i listened to the audiobook (which i almost never do in the first place) and i just couldn't take the narrator seriously. I was laughing out loud by some of her inflection choices. So much imposed melodrama... I just couldn't handle it. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had read it instead of listened to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to the audio book of Shiver and had a similar experience. If I'd just read it I might have liked it better.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read either of these. I've thought about reading both, but I still haven't put them on my TBR list. I might get to them eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thoughts. I haven't read either, but I do know a lot of people loved Red Rising. I was skeptical about Cruel Beauty, but I might try it out now! Thanks for your opinions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Everyone loved Red Rising. I just didn't get it.

      Delete
  4. I think I will have to check out Cruel Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disappointing to hear that you didn't care for Red Rising, as I have a copy on my TBR shelf that I haven't gotten to yet. Hate when a much-hyped book doesn't live up to its promise! Will have to take a look at Cruel Beauty, as I love retellings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Maybe you'll like it. I'm in the minority. Try Cruel Beauty. It's so good!

      Delete
  6. My feelings are reversed. I LOVE Red Rising! It is SO epic, and I couldn't finish Cruel Beauty, Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I forgot we were the exact opposite on these books.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read either of these, but I like how the cover colors match each other. Very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like it helps that Pierce Brown is ridiculously hot for a male author, which in turn makes his books popular. I haven't read him yet (the plot just didn't appeal to me), but I do follow him on Instagram. :)

    I also haven't read any of Rosamund Hodge, but I did get the arc for her upcoming book Bright Smoke, Cold Fire which is a take on Romeo and Juliet and I'm super excited for it. Even more now that I know you liked her Cruel Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read everything she writes. Whoa! I just checked him out. He is hot.

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of a retelling of Beauty and the Beast which is probably why Cruel Beauty is languishing on my immense Kindle TBR pile. Glad to hear it's worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cruel Beauty is AMAZING. So glad you think so too! :)

    ReplyDelete