Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Review: The Girl From The Sea

Title The Girl From the Sea
By Shalini Boland
Genre Adult Suspense
Rating ⭐

Synopsis
Waking on a beach with no idea who she is or what her name is a woman searches for answers. Before the accident it seemed like she had the ideal life but something seems off. But as she searches for answers she might not like what she finds.

First Sentence
The scent of salt and seaweed.






This was my first book of 2017 and sadly, is not going down as a favorite. I actually read this one on the recommendation of my mother in law. She loves to read too and is always recommending books to me but we have completely different taste in books so I always decline. Which makes me feel a little bad that we can't discuss what we're reading with each other in depth. So when she mentioned this one I thought it sounded like something I might like and quickly downloaded it.

Not far into it, however, I discovered this one was not published by a mainstream publisher. That's not a bad thing but in a lot of cases that's not a good thing either. There were several typos and discrepancies that irritated me and the writing had that unpolished, amateur quality to it. I just about gave up on it even though I really wanted to finish it for my mother in laws sake.

Luckily, at some point, I became just interested enough to know what happened to finish it.

I'd love to say the ending blew me away and that it totally made the read worth it. Well, the ending surprised me alright, just not in a good way. I sat there after finishing it thinking, "what the hell did I just read?". I think the author just wanted to shock us. As if that would make up for the rest of the shoddy book. Ugh! Now what do I tell my poor mother in law? Sigh!

Should you read it?
Absolutely not. Sorry, I can't recommend it.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds pretty bad. I really hate endings that are just done for the "shock factor", it really puts me off! It's a shame you can't discuss it with your mother in law - maybe recommend her a book instead? (Though I understand if it's hard to find something you think you'll both like - I have completely different reading tasted to most of my friends!) Thanks for the review, I'll think I'll be avoiding this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! I was about to jot this one down because of the cool cover art and the great first line...but I don't think I will now. I'm trying not to waste my limited reading time on lesser books this year. I'm sorry this one ended up being such a dud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is the best thing it's got going for it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, gosh. "The scent of salt and seaweed." You were doomed from the start. At least the rest of your reading year is guaranteed to be better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm I'm so torn! On one hand, the cover and blurb are so pretty and wonderful but, like you, I hate endings only executed for the shock factor and it doesn't make sense for the overall plotline or character perspective. Eh, with my TBR being crazy long, I think I'll pass. Lovely review, Jenny!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed that you can make it through these books with typos and mediocre crap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed too! This one at least got interesting enough to continue and finish.

      Delete
  6. I guess just tell her it wasn't your cup of tea. Maybe, she'll understand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's super sensitive so I guess we'll see.

      Delete
  7. You should definitely get daughter-in-law points for being willing to read one of her recommendations knowing that you don't like the same kind of books as she does! Funny enough, the premise of this book sounds similar to TWO I read recently. I liked one of them but not the other. Anyway, sounds like this one was a dud. Hopefully, your MIL won't be too offended that you didn't like it! If it's any consolation to her, you don't like a lot of the books I recommend either -- ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell her that if she gets offended. ;)

      Delete