Friday, January 20, 2017

Review: The Pact

Title The Pact
By Jodi Picoult
Genre Adult contemporary
Rating ⭐⭐

Synopsis
The Golds and the Hartes have lived next to each other for 18 years. Their two children, Chris and Emily, have grown up so closely it's hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. It's no surprise when the two begin to date. What is a surprise is when Emily ends up dead and Chris wounded in what, Chris says, was a suicide pact. Is Chris telling the truth or did something much more sinister happen? Two family's worlds are shattered and torn apart as they try to understand what happened.

First Sentence
There was nothing left to say.


This is only the second Jody Picoult book I've ever read. I picked it up on vacation at a Goodwill on a whim and started reading it on the plane ride home. The other book I've read of hers, Second Glance, was quite good and while I've heard that her books are a hit and a miss, I wanted to try another. This one was a miss.

Her books are very readable. They suck you in and hold you down for the ride but that doesn't mean you'll like the ride when all is said and done.

Again we have a book that doesn't have any likable characters. It  makes it so hard to care about anything that's going on if there isn't one single character you can like. Why can't authors see that?! Or do they actually think they have likable characters? Ugh!

-Going to get a bit spoilery so read on at your own risk-

The parents, while totally unintentional, should have stopped their two children from having such a close relationship. I realize no one is perfect and that they probably saw no harm but how could you not?! These kids were each other's world. It was an unhealthy relationship and sad to me that no one saw it.

Emily drove me absolutely nuts! I felt like I was supposed to have all this sympathy for her because she was dead but she was so unlikable that I just couldn't. Plus, I found her thoughts and reactions completely unrealistic.

Chris, too, was unlikable and annoying. While I felt that he grew up a lot, I never felt like he truly understood Emily as well as he claimed to.

-End of spoilers-

This book also had that crime book feeling. We didn't follow a cop around but we did follow Chris' lawyer a bit and the ending covered the full court trial. It was interesting to read so I didn't mind but I did think it was a bit long in written form. I prefer to watch court scenes, not read about them.

All in all the book held my interest but I just didn't like the content or characters all that much.

Should you read it? 
If you're a Picoult fan and like long drawn out court scenes then, sure, give it a go. Otherwise, just avoid this one. She has at least one other book that's much better.

14 comments:

  1. Picoult's books have been hit and miss for me, too...sadly, more miss than hit. I tend to avoid her books now. And it doesn't sound like I was missing out by not reading this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'm good. Don't care if I ever pick up a Picoult book again.

      Delete
  2. Seriously!? Why do some authors fill a book with characters you can't stand? There should be redeeming qualities or at least one character that isn't stupid or awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read one Picoult book I think, and it was okay, but I don't remember it very well. I've seen this one in the library before, but I've never really been drawn to it - sorry you didn't enjoy it! It's always a shame when the characters are all unlikable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I think you should just keep passing them up.

      Delete
  4. I tend to collect Jodi Picoult's books and then fail to actually read them, so the only one I've read is My Sister's Keeper, which was good, if sad. Unlikeable characters can definitely make it hard to like a book. I find that if an author can make an unlikeable character real enough that they can capture my sympathy, then there's a chance for the book, but doing that is no easy task!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big Picoult fan (although I didn't love her latest books, truth be told)! I've probably read this one, but it's so long that the plot doesn't even sound familiar. I wonder if I liked it? Hm, I have no idea ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Jodi Piccoult's books yet. I'm not sure they'd really be my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of the first Picoult books I read, and I've tried but I'm just not a fan of hers. I think she always has great ideas, but I can't ever connect to her characters- I always feel so removed from them. I've read about 5 or 6 of her books, but she's now an automatic pass for me.

    ReplyDelete