Friday, February 23, 2018

Friday Flicks: Black Panther

Black Panther
Rating ★★

What It's About
I consider myself a Marvel fan but mostly I'm an X-Men and Spider Man fan so I knew virtually nothing about the Black Panther.
So there's this hidden city in South Africa that has this amazing technology but they've stayed hidden for hundreds of years under the ruling of a generation of kings endowed with gifts and known as the Black Panther. Each time a king dies, their son becomes the new king and new Black Panther. When an artifact of theirs that ended up in a museum gets stolen and an enemy arrives and challenges our hero, current king and Black Panther he'll find out a secret about his father and have to fight not only for his title and kingdom but for what he believes in.





Of course I wanted to see this one. It's a Marvel universe movie! I wasn't sure what to expect, though. I knew nothing about the Black Panther. I guess I can't REALLY call myself a Marvel fan. Oh well.

I'm going to be honest, guys. I found this one to feel overly long and was really bored through most of it. AND something just felt off.

After reflecting on it I think I've decided that it just didn't FEEL like a Marvel movie. It felt more like a fantasy movie than a super hero movie. And sometimes it's like the director or writers remembered it was supposed to be a super hero movie and would throw in something but it was too little and just felt weird.

I also was bothered by the villain. If this movie was trying to address racism they shouldn't have made the villain such a stereotypical thug. It did nothing to fight racism in my opinion. Maybe that's just me, though.

I will say that I really loved the MCs sister Shuri. She was great. I'd rather have watched a movie about her.

Anywho, I was honestly just disappointed in this one. I wanted a great new addition to the Marvel universe and this one was just all off.

Let's talk
 Have you ever noticed how long a movies sometimes feels? I think it's because certain stories tend to be more episodic rather than one, single, sweeping arc. That episodic trend seems to be coming into a lot of movies and it just makes it feel SO long. What do you guys think?

Recommendation
Sadly I'd just say wait to rent it on Redbox or Amazon.

 


19 comments:

  1. I've heard very mixed reviews about this one. Super hero movies aren't my jam, so I doubt I'll ever watch it unless my husband happens to catch it on Netflix or something. Bummer that it was such a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this one doesn’t feel like a super hero movie so maybe you’d like it ;)

      Delete
  2. I saw it last night and I understand where you're coming from. It did seem very different from other Marvel movies. And, didn't seem very superhero-y. But, I still liked it. It's not my favorite movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you didn't really enjoy this, Jenny! The hype coming into it's release was so intense I actually made plans to see it on release day (though those plans did fall through). The trailers looked really, really good but after hearing a few mixed reviews, I'm a little apprehensive. I know exactly what you mean about a movie seeming like it's going on FOREVER. I saw a movie last year called The Tree of Life and while it was really good, the beginning dragged on for AGES. I really liked it (it honestly made me cry) but I don't think I could ever stand to rewatch it because of the beginning.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when books or movies feel long it ruins them a bit for me.

      Delete
  4. I wasn't really planning on seeing this movie anyway, but now I feel less guilty about skipping it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer!! I understand what you mean about it feeling long. I've seen a few movies lately that feel like they have too many endings before the real one actually comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not overly impressed either, and with all the raves in the media it's nice to see some more measured reviews in the blogosphere. I also thought it was too long. And I was frequently bored as well, I didn't think a lot happened?!? Shuri was awesome though, I agree there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It wasn’t as amazing as they make you think.

      Delete
  7. It was an OK movie, and I agree it was more fantasy than a superhero movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was an OK movie, and I agree it was more fantasy than a superhero movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and son went to watch this last week and really enjoyed it! I haven't had a chance to see it myself, but I did still want to watch it while it's in theaters. I feel like it's something that needs to be watched on a big screen.

    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this! Your actually the first person I've seen that didn't like it. Although, I DO love me some X-Men, too!

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. X-Men are the best but the movies aren’t that great either.

      Delete
  10. As usual, I want to see this, but I'm scared. The trailers made me very apprehensive about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s pretty bad. I don’t know about the comics though so...

      Delete