Monday, February 19, 2018

Review: The Woman In The Window

Title The Woman In The Window
By A.J. Finn
Genre Adult suspense
Format ebook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Anna is an agoraphobic. Living alone in her New York City home she spends her time drinking too much wine, watching old movies and spying on her neighbors. When she witnesses a murder but no one believes her she starts to questions her own sanity.

First Sentence
Her husband's almost home.



I thought the premise of this one sounded a lot like the old movie, Rear Window, so I had to give it a read.

This is Finn's first book and I was blown away by his unique writing style. I can't believe I'm going to say this but I haven't actively noticed unique writing like this since Markus Zusak. I don't mean Finn writes like Zusak but they both have this unusual style that makes you pause and reread the sentence with goosebumps running up and down your arms.

The entire time I was reading this I was so immersed in the story and writing that I started feeling like the character. Foggy headed, delusional and a little crazy. I just wanted to go outside and feel the wind and breath! I couldn't stand that she never went out and never cracked a window. I could almost smell the staleness of her house.

A lot of the twist and turns in this one were fairly obvious to me but a few things caught me by surprise which is always good. While I didn't love the ending and found the "villain" cliche, I enjoyed the journey and can't WAIT for more books by this author.

Should you read it
You should. And tell me what you think of his writing style.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds intense! I feel like I would need to read it outside. The idea of never leaving the house or cracking a window...ugh.

    "I don't mean Finn writes like Zusak but they both have this unusual style that makes you pause and reread the sentence with goosebumps running up and down your arms." I love this! It's amazing when you can find writing that affects you physically as well as mentally.

    Thanks for this review!

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice to read in the summer so I could have been outside. Being cooped up inside made me go a little crazy.

      Delete
  2. The book is TOTALLY immersive, isn't it? I'm not sure how Finn made it that vivid, that real. I just know I was 100% engrossed from the first page to the last. I can't wait to see what Finn does next either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what else he comes out with. I hope this isn't all he's got.

      Delete
  3. This one was a good read; and I can't wait to find out what the author has in store for his next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Rear Window, but then you mentions Zusak! SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. It's a good intro into this genre.

      Delete
  5. This sounds really good! One of my favorite things about reading, actually, is the writing itself. I just find words so beautiful and if there's an author that is using them in unique ways to create the perfect atmospheric feeling, I'm all in! Lovely review, Jenny!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I love when the writing is its own character.

      Delete
  6. Yay! I can't wait to read this one. It seems like one I would love and I'm always excited when you love them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to read it. I want to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm on the wait list at the library. It sounds like an impressive debut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you’ll love it. I can’t wait to hear what you think.

      Delete