Monday, April 2, 2018

Review: Geekerella

Title Geekerella
By Ashley Poston
Genre YA Contemporary Romance
Format Audiobook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Elle lives with her step mom and sisters and works in a food truck that sells pumpkin flavored everything. She misses her dad and the bond they shared over Starfield, an old TV show with a crazy fandom. When Hollywood decided to reboot the old TV show into a movie and casts Hollywood's boy toy Darien Freeman, Elle is furious. What would a egotistical set of abs know about her beloved Starfield? When she sees a cosplay contest at the famous Excelsicon with a cash prize and a ticket to LA for the movie premier as the prize, Elle sees her chance to escape.

First Sentence
The stepmonster is at it again.

I've heard great things about this one and I'm always up for a fairytale retelling so when this one came up on Overdrive on audio I snatched it up.

I like retellings but I always want the author to make the story their own with enough uniqueness to make it worth reading. While I didn't feel like this one was quite unique enough, I liked it.

It was cute and fun and just plain adorkable. I loved that Elle and Darien got to know each other before they met so it wasn't just stupid instalove. We all hate that, am I right? I also loved that the "coach" was a food truck. Did I already say adorkable?

The writing was good and the characters relatable but I do wish that the story took a few more obvious deviations from the original story than it did. Oh well. I'd still recommend it and don't regret reading it one little bit.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have instalove. But, I do like it when characters get to know each other before they fall in love as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much. I loved the food truck too. I love the whole convention thing and belonging to a fandom. It touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember enjoying the geekyness but as a whole I was disappointed that it was more different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorkable is totally the perfect word to describe this book. I loved it and it was so fun and quirky and light that it was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I love the word "adorkable". I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was fabulous, especially the story within the story about the TV show. I liked that part so much that I found myself wishing it was real.

    ReplyDelete