Thursday, April 19, 2018

Review: Ross Poldark

Title Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
By Winston Graham
Genre Adult Classic
Format Audiobook
Rating ⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Ross Poldark arrives home to Cornwall from the war to find his father has passed away and the girl he loved married to his cousin. Trying to get his father's house and copper mine back in order he tries to deal with his grief.

First Sentence
It was windy.





Another book club read. I've seen  season one of the TV series and had so much fun ogling Aiden Turner that I was eager to read and compare the book. Sadly, I found the book so similar to the series that I couldn't find a reason to read it. In fact, I struggled so much that I finally just downloaded the audio and listened to it while working.

Listening helped make it go faster. I found it so similar that I could zone out at points and quickly orient myself when I started paying attention again. I know, I know! That's awful of me. I didn't hate the book I just found it a bit boring when compared to the show.

There were some differences, of course, but nothing so monumental that I could justify reading the book. I guess what I'm saying is, just watch the show and ogle Aiden Turner and skip the book.


15 comments:

  1. I guess it's good that the show's stuck so closely to the book, but I admit, I'd rather watch than read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like the show, so I wonder how I'd feel about the book. I'll have to give it a try and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book wasn't bad. It just felt like there was no point reading it if I'd already seen the show. And at book club last night one of the girls read the book first and couldn't make it through the show because she felt like there was no point.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I don't think this would be a book for me! I love that you tried your book club's book! There have been times when I haven't even attempted the book people choose for mine. I just know it's not going to be something I like, and I just say as much when we get together! It doesn't happen often, but I know what I like and what I'm willing to try. :)

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read many a book that I wasn't sure about. Sometimes it works out wonderfully and sometimes not so much.

      Delete
  4. I think it's great that the TV series follow closely to the book. If this is the case it's always better to watch the show first instead since it's much fast and easier; and all the better if there's a good-looking artiste to ogle, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aiden Turner is very nice to look at and he is a great actor. I also liked the series, but I think I will skip the book!

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved both! They're very similar, though, which I thought just meant they did a terrific job creating the TV show. I've considered reading the whole series but I just have two of the books and feel like I need to reread the first one before moving on, so I keep putting it off. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I was completely swept away by the storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose ogling Aidan Turner as well. :D I did try to read it, but it just wasn't for me. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that's a bummer. I don't think I've heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that first line. Pretty short and to the point! I've heard of this series but didn't know they were books...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not all about Aiden Turner, as hard as that is to believe! I really love the characters, including Demelza and Verity. I plan on reading it and the books go into a new generation of characters, which I doubt the TV series will jump to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will skip the book. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete