Monday, April 23, 2018

Review: Optimists Die First

Title Optimists Dies First
By Susan Nielsen
Genre YA Contemporary
Format Audiobook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
A tragedy in Petula's past has made her see danger everywhere she looks. Forced to take an art therapy course to deal with her  issues she's trying to fly under the radar. But when Jacob joins the art class and ruffles her calm existence she'll have to face her fears.

First Sentence
The first time I saw the Bionic Man I was covered in sparkles.




This one has been on my radar since it's release last year. I'd heard good things. So when I needed something cute and quick I downloaded a copy and started to listen. These are my favorite types of stories: Cute and romantic while also having issues the characters are dealing with.

I listened to this one all in one go and found it absolutely perfect. There were things about the characters I didn't understand or relate to but I was perfectly happy to join them in their journey.

Because I listened to this one in one sitting I was afraid it wouldn't stick with me but I the characters are so memorable, even the side characters, that I still remember each of them and still love them all.

If I had to complain I might say everything wrapped up too cleanly but after looking at it again I don't think that's true. This is one of those books I don't  just want to recommend but push on everyone I know. So go! Read it!

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good summer beach read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is one I would pick up on my own, but I trust your judgement! I also adore that first sentence, lol. Audiobook, right? I'm going to check and see if my library has it on OverDrive...

    They don't! Haha. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it. :)

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Yeah, I got mine on audiobook from overdrive. Sorry it’s not available for you.

      Delete
  3. Awesome! :) That coveted 5-star rating is hard to get from you. I know it has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely have to check this out. That cover is so appealing and I definitely love cute and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That title sure captured my attention. Glad to hear it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding to my tbr! I don't know why (maybe because I'm writing an embarrassing YA contemporary romance) but it has suddenly become a favourite genre for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d love to read a YA contemporary you wrote.

      Delete
  7. I didn't love this one nearly as much as you did, but I liked it. It's cute and hopeful and fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commenting with the wrong account. Gah!

      Delete
    2. I think I’m getting all soft because I just liked it and didn’t date it wasn’t perfect.

      Delete
  8. Great review!! I still haven't gotten to this one but I definitely need to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to see someone else showering love on this book besides me. It made my favorites list last year. I found it utterly delightful, and it had me shedding some tears, which is the true sign of a winning book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fun, love that first sentence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great first sentence. Sets the mood.

      Delete