Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Review: Finnikin of the Rock

Title Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1)
By Melina Marchetta
Genre YA Fantasy
Format Print
Rating ⭐️

Synopsis
Since the royal family was killed and a usurper put on the thrown, Finnikin and his guardian have been outcasts from their beloved home. When Finnikin is summoned to meet Evanjalin, an arrogant and strange women who claims to know where the long lost prince is, he'll begin the journey of a lifetime.

First Sentence
When it finally appeared in the distance, Finnikin wondered if it was some phantom half-imagined in this soulless kingdom at the end of the world.

I've been wanting to read this book for ages! I love Marchetta's books and was eager to see her take on the fantasy genre. Why I didn't pick it up sooner, I don't know. I guess that's what you get when you have hundreds of books on your TBR list. Anywho, my book club decided to read it so I finally picked it up.

I don't know if it was timing, my mood, or a lackluster story but this one was a no go for me. Fantasy is pretty formulaic and that's OK. I get it. It's what I expect when I pick up the genre but I guess I was expecting Marchetta to bring something new to the table or maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a fantasy but I was really unimpressed and had to drag my way through this one. It didn't help that I was trying to read it on vacation on the Oregon coast and, well, look at that view! It's hard to focus when the water is right there!

My other beef with this one was how much I disliked the two main characters. Finnikin was one of those overprotective annoying guy's I can't stand and Evanjalin was such a little snob. I really had to contain myself from reaching into the book and backhanding her!

So, yeah, I guess this one just wasn't a match for me. There's no telling if I would have like it if I'd read it at a different time so I just have to go off my impressions today and they weren't good. Not good at all.

22 comments:

  1. I agree, the two MCs were SO stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? They just rubbed me the wrong way.

      Delete
  2. I'd have trouble reading with that view, too. Sorry this one didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the book didn't work out well for you. It's always disappointing when a book isn't good. I hope the next book you read is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! I'm sorry this one was such a dud. At least you had a beautiful view to enjoy instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you didn't like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bad? Yikes! I've had a copy of this book sitting on my shelf for FOREVER and have never picked it up. I've been avoiding it for some reason, which I guess is a good thing ...

    Gorgeous view! I love the Oregon Coast. Glad you got some good R&R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Oregon coast too! Obviously. You might like the book. It wasn’t horrible. I just was in a mood.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry the book didn't work out well for you but at least you'd a nice view there! I think I'd be distracted, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the picture! Sorry this wasn't a good fit for you! It's a series I've really enjoyed (Froi might actually be better if you want to give this series another shot...)! Sometimes I hate a hyped book that everyone else loved, so it's okay that our likes and dislikes often don't line up. It's why books are beautiful--there's something for everyone. <3

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I forgot to mention that I actually like Froi and might read his book.

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you decide to try it!

      Delete
  9. I'm kind of relieved at your review. I didn't care for this one either. Totally agreed about the characters, especially Evanjalin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known you would have my back. ;)

      Delete
  10. Oh no! I hope your next book is MUCH better!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! I comment you for finishing the book. I have never finished a book that got less than 3 stars. I usually DNF if it's below that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried reading this one, too, but it seemed boring, so I just gave up. Doesn't feel like the book for me, either.

    ReplyDelete