Friday, May 25, 2018

Review: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Title Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood #1)
By Becky Albertalli
Genre YA contemporary
Format Audiobook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Simon has a secret that not even his closest friends knows. He's gay. The only person that knows is someone he's been emailing from his school that's gay too. As their romance blooms they struggle with whether they should reveal themselves to each other but when Simon's secret gets out things get complicated.

First Sentence
It's a weirdly subtle conversation.




Ever since I read Albertalli's The Upside on Unrequited I knew I had to read her other books. Somehow she writes in a way that just makes you so emotionally invested. I listened to this one in one go while I was mowing lawns etc at our house and rentals. Sure makes the time fly when you listen to audio books.

I'd given in and seen the movie before reading this one and found it adorable too and liked the subtle differences between the two. There's a fine line of balance when making a book into a movie; it can't be  too different but too similar and it's no fun either. This one did a great job. Both the movie and book were great.

While I didn't love this one as much as Unrequited I enjoyed it immensely and have already downloaded Leah on the Offbeat to listen to right away!

20 comments:

  1. I've heard really good things about this book. I want to see the movie. At some point, I'll get to watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite Albertalli book. I read it a few years back, but I can easily recall my love for Simon. I liked the book a lot more than the movie, though I do think they captured the essence of the book fairly well with the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them both. I can’t wait to read more by the author.

      Delete
    2. I read her other two solo books, and they were great too. Albertalli just knows how to write teens. I think her background gives her a lot of keen insight into the mind of a teen.

      Delete
  3. I read this one and enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I can't wait to try out more of her work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn’t as good as The Upside of Unrequited but it was cute. I hope you like her others. I’m looking forward to them.

      Delete
  4. I've seen this book has received many good reviews so I'm definitely intrigued. Of course I'll need to read Unrequited first since I've that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by this author, although all of her books are on my TBR list. *Sigh* So many books, so little time ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still need to read this one AND watch the movie! I have a copy of the book, but it's just one I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Happy to hear you enjoyed both!

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by this author, but I've seen this book around a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve liked her books but they’re pretty angsty

      Delete
  8. I've heard some great things about Leah. I hope you love it, too. Audiobooks really do help time flying when you are doing chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’re great for getting stuff done and being entertained.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you loved this, Jenny!! I read it a few months back and had the same reaction: it's just so adorable and heartwarming and amazing! I have a feeling it's going to be on my 'frequent rereads' shelf :) Up next on the list is Leah and Unrequited!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed this one! When I saw it in your May reads, I mentally crossed my fingers. I thought it was wonderful. Really want to see the movie. I'm glad you enjoyed that. As a side note, I'm pretty sure this author is coming to our local book festival.

    ReplyDelete