Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty

Title The Summer I Turned Pretty
By Jenny Han
For Fun
Source Library




Synopsis
Two things have always been a constant for Belly: summers are spent at her mother's best friend's beach house, and her love for Conrad. Conrad and Jeremiah are practically brothers to Belly but this summer everything changes.

General thoughts
Ha ha! did you like my pathetic synopsis. I feel like the movie preview guy. Anywho, this book was a fun fluffy read for me. I was drawn in and kept turning pages, finishing it in a day, but  Belly's immaturity (and yes, I know she was only fifteen and I kept reminding myself of that) was rather annoying. Still, I liked the book well enough and will read the other two in the series just to see what happens. It was a good reminder of how selfish we all really are; thinking the world revolves around us, and how the reality check can be a huge slap in the face to make us see what really matters. Plus it was romantic...sort of.

Characters
Belly was pretty immature but she was only fifteen and I was rather stupid at that age too. Heck, I'm still pretty stupid! She had her good moments though and made for a realistic, teenage protagonist. Jeremiah was by far my favorite! He was funny and amiable and made me smile. Conrad by contrast was the selfish dark broody guy that woman find sooooo sexy, and that I just roll my eyes at. Please! Cam, was blah to me. Taylor was portrayed very badly and I'm not sure why she was even in the story. Laurel and Susannah, the mothers, were a delight. I loved Susannah as much as Belly did and Laurel was strong and kind, if not great at voicing her thoughts.

Would I recommend it?
For a fun summer read? Yes.

9 comments:

  1. Oops, I put my comment in the wrong place. See, someone read your Sunday Salon!! LOL Love your kitty. She is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookfool, Thanks, She sure thinks she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for fun summer books! I'll have to check this one out. I'd seen it on a few blogs but wasn't sure if it would be too kiddish. But I do enjoy realistic fluff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, It's definitely fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, Yeah, it was a fun read. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. +JMJ+

    Contemporary YA with delightful mothers? How did I miss this? I don't know whether I'll be able to fit it into the book reading schedule that is my life any time soon, but your review helped push it up the endless list a bit. I really like that Belly (or so I presume) gets the necessary slap in the face that we all need to grow up. There are too many whiny, self-entitled heroines in YA these days. I don't think I could put up with another unless she actually does learn that the universe doesn't revolve around her.

    And I know what you mean about boring, underwhelming bad boys. He'd better not get the girl! (Of course, I understand if you don't reply to this directly, as it might be a spoiler.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enbrethiliel, Actually I can reply without spoiling a thing. It's a series so she hasn't ended up with anyone yet. She better not choose the dang bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, gotta love Jeremiah:DD!!

    ReplyDelete