By Raina Telgemeier
Genre Graphic Novel, Middle grade
Growing up is hard enough with grade school to junior high transitions, crushes on boys, dealing with snarky friends, breakouts and puberty. Throw in some serious dental issues and poor Raina might not survive.
- Graphic novels really aren't my thing because I like more depth but I adore how quickly you can read them. This whole book took me about 20 minutes to read.
- This book is totally relateable. I never had to get braces but I had to go to the dentist so much I ended up with a irrational fear of dentists and dental work...luckily I grew out of it. But reading this story and seeing the great pics that went with it brought back some memories.
- I love that the story AND the art is by the author and that it's a memoir of sorts.
- I liked the style of art work. Except the pics of the bloody dental work and the gauze. *shudders*
- A cute read that pre-teens will love. For me it wasn't a favorite but I liked it well enough.
Should you read it?
It's a good clean read with fun pictures and a relatable MC. If graphic novels are your thing (or your kids) then yes, read it.