Monday, March 28, 2016

Review: Love The One You're With

Title Love The One You're With
By Emily Giffin
Genre Adult Chick Lit
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis 
Ellen, is a perfectly blissful newlywed. Her life with Andy is everything she dreamed of. Or is it? When an old flame suddenly comes back into the picture, Ellen can't help but wonder what might have been.

First Sentence
It happened exactly one hundred days after I married Andy, almost to the minute of our half-past-three-o' clock ceremony.






  • I'm just going to go ahead and admit it. I do enjoy the occasion chick lit. Especially Giffin's work. She spins one hell of a romantic dramedy. There's something so irresistibly addictive about her books. 
  • I'm a sucker for stories where one's choices in life are questioned. As long as they make the right decision, that is. I bought this book years ago under the impression from the title that Ellen would come to her senses and stay with her loving husband.  But when I finally read it,  Giffin had me at the edge of my seat. I was flipping pages like crazy wondering what on earth was going to happen. It became wholly unpredictable. 
  • As I mentioned, I was having a hard time putting this one down. All I wanted to do was read it and when I wasn't I was thinking about it and wanting to get back to it. It's been years, people, YEARS since a book has done that to me. 
  • Does it being a chick lit book make me feel a bit sheepish about how addicted I was to it? Nope! I've got SOOOO much stress going on in my life right now that a light, fluffy read with a underlying moral was just what I needed. I may or may not have shed a few tears at the end...and I may or may not be picking up another book by Giffin for my next read. 


Should You Read It?
Even people who say they hate chick lit say they enjoy Giffin's books so, yes, I'd recommend it.

11 comments:

  1. Not sheepish at all. Every once in a while one has to read books that are not too heavy. I read Ahern's books that way. This one sounds interesting. I surely want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Giffin's books. I have to say I was seriously disappointed in The One & Only. Don't waste your time but I see a new one is coming this summer.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many but I'll avoid that one. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  3. I've never read anything by Giffin, but this one does sound good. I rarely read romances because they're so silly and predictable -- I like that this one kept you guessing. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are more drama centered around romance than romance. If that makes sense.

      Delete
  4. I like Chic Lit when it's funny and smart and romantic. And this one has a great first line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chick lit definitely has its place and for me it is mostly when I want to have a quick light read that engages me when my mind is otherwise very occupied with real life demands (the exhausting ones as well as the good ones). And when the chick lit draws me into the romance with smart writing, even better. Ahern books have been my go-to last year. I've not tried Griffen, I think I shall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think her covers are chick lit, but Griffin adds a lot of depth to her stories (not saying chick lit can't have depth, but a lot of them are fun, funny and romantic and lighthearted- and there's nothing wrong with that!). I loved her Something Borrowed and Something Blue books, which deal with infidelity, not a subject you could normally get me to read at all. I remember liking this one, but hating Baby Proof, and there's still a few of hers I need to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then! With that sort of recommendation, clearly I need to read an Emily Giffin book pronto! :)

    ReplyDelete