Monday, February 20, 2017

Review: Sweet Lamb of Heaven

Title Sweet Lamb of Heaven
By Lydia Millet
Genre Adult Contemporary
Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Synopsis
Leaving her cold and distant husband wasn't hard for Anna and her six year old daughter. Staying apart might not be so easy. Ned is going into politics and wants the picture perfect family. He wants Anna back and will let nothing stop him. Hiding in a small hotel in Maine Anna discovers the other guests have secrets of their own and they all might have more in common then she thought.

First Sentence
When I insisted on keeping the baby, Ned threw his hands into the air palms-forward.


This is another of those Tournament of Books picks I was telling you about. And I LOVED this one. I was immediately drawn into the story and was shocked to discover that, yes, this is a book about a woman on the run from her awful husband but it was so much more than that. I don't want to say too much because I think you just need to read it to see what I'm talking about.

This book gets an interesting idea presented in an entertaining way right. I absolutely loved the "other" part of the story. I loved the idea of people coming together with a deep intelligence and helping each other out. And, yes, I liked the simple story that held the deeper story in its hands too.

Remember how I said I like to read reviews of a book I loved on Goodreads after finishing it? Well I did that very thing after reading this one hoping for intelligent, open minded readers who saw what I saw and was sadly disappointed. I felt like everyone was calling it an interesting story with supernatural elements. NO! It was so much more than that! Sigh!

Sorry. I'm not trying to sound like a snob. I just get frustrated when an idea gets presented and no one sees it.

Should you read it
I think everyone should read this! If you just see an entertaining story, that's OK. Still read it!

14 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the heads-up -- I hadn't heard of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has a weird title for the synopsis. So much love and only 4 stars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never did get what the title had to do with anything.

      Delete
  3. I think this one sounds interesting after you described it at book club and from your review. I'm going to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love a book with many layers; and it sounds like the "other side" of this one is what makes it so good. Gotta admit, I'm intrigued by the mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I'm going to see if I can grab this from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sold! I like a good thriller/mystery and this sounds amazing. I haven't heard about it before, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete