Saturday, July 21, 2018

Review: The Undomestic Goddess

Title The Undomestic Goddess
By Sophie Kinsella
Genre Romance Chick-lit
Format ebook
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Samantha has worked hard her whole life to get where she's at: A high powered attorney at the most prestigious law firm in London. When she makes a horrible mistake that costs her company fifty million pounds she flees in a blind panic. Suddenly in a small town she's never heard of she get mistaken for a housekeeper applicant and decides to go with it. It's the perfect place to hide. But Samantha know's nothing about cleaning or cooking and some things you can't hide from forever.

First Sentence
Would you consider yourself stressed?

Another book club book. I might have picked this one up on my own, though. Kinsella is a hit or miss with me. I find her books hard to put down or at least intriguing enough to keep me turning pages but I usually find them a little too long and tedious and quite a bit too silly to be believable.

This one started off great. It was unbelievable but I was laughing along and enjoying the ride. The story was fun and brings up a lot of fun topics of discussion; that will be nice since it's a book club pick, but the silliness started to get too silly and it just went on for too long.

My biggest issue with this one was the MC. I didn't like Samantha's wishy-washy attitude. She kept going back and forth on her decisions and I felt like that was a slap in the face to the point this books sort of tried to be making about women's equality etc.

However, I mostly enjoyed the ride and I liked the end message of the story. That bumped it up from it's tediousness to a three star read.

14 comments:

  1. I had such a connection to the decision that Samantha made in this book, and I simply love Kinsella. She does light hearted with a lot of heart so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read more of her books. I loved Finding Audrey but her adult books haven’t blown me away.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you're getting your book groove back! ;)

    One of my favorite things about book club, is that it forces me to read books I wouldn't normally choose on my own. Sometimes I discover a new favorite. <3

    𑁋 Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to devour Kinsella's books, but they have reached a point of too much sillyness for me, but I did enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read the others you recommended.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, wishy-washy MC's drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, some of Kinsella's novels don't work for me either. But this one did make me laugh. Just not enough to buy it for my shelf. I do own several of her others though. And at least all of her books are light-hearted and quick reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s true they’re great summer reads.

      Delete
  6. I only read the first two books and figured some of them are quite formulaic. Anyways they make an entertaining and quick read so it's one of those 'mood reads' to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one but I don't remember much about it so I looked it up at my blog. Oh. I read it in 2005. Well, no wonder. LOL I feel about the same as you do about Sophie Kinsella. Her books are silly so they're good for an escape but some are better than others. I read her avidly when I went through my chick lit phase, but some of her books were better than others. The Shopaholic books were extremely formulaic and I was glad when she moved on. I got tired of the same old thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know if I’ll ever try the shopaholic books.

      Delete