Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Review: Sean Griswold's head

Title Sean Griswold's head
By Lindsey Leavitt
For Fun
Source Library




Synopsis
To deal with her fathers newly diagnosed multiple sclerosis, Payton's guidance counselor tell her to find a focus object. Sean Griswold has been sitting in the desk in front of her since the 3rd grade. But when she chooses his head as the focus object hilarity and a lesson or two ensue.

General thoughts
When I first started this book I read the first chapter or two right before going to bed. I woke hours later in the middle of the night thinking: this Payton sure is a selfish brat! Alright, alright, I know she wasn't really that big of a snot and she was just dealing with the horrible news about her father but it definitely drove me crazy...at first. The humor and Sean, awesome, awesome, Sean save this book. And not just saved it but actually made this a thoroughly enjoyable read. Yeah, OK, it could have been a Lifetime original, or a Hallmark movie but I don't care! It was sweet!

Characters
Payton grows on you, she really does. She's a little anal, has some weird issues and can be a little selfish, but she grows on you, I promise. Jac was too pushy and eccentric (in a bad way) for my taste but the story wouldn't have been complete without her and Payton wouldn't have learned some important things without her either. Payton's parents were almost to soft and easy on her and I liked them but I wished they would have put their fist down once in awhile. Payton's brother Trent was perfect. Perfectly annoying and perfectly brotherly. Grady was that oddball character that amused me, scared me, and just had me shaking my head, but he too just had to be there. And then there's Sean. Ah, Sean. This guy was great! He's down to earth, he has a life, interests and has so many great insights that help Payton. He forgives easily, is stubborn when he needs to be and above all just a realistic teen guy! Believe me, that's hard to come by these days in books. K, I'll stop gushing about Sean.

Would I recommend it? 
Um, hello? Of course! And if Payton is driving you nuts just stick with it cause I promise, Sean will make it all better. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've heard good things about this. Now I'll have to actually get a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, Sean is totally worth it. I'm totally crushing on this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen quite a few reviews of this book. Most of them good. I'll have to add it to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni Elyse, Oh do add it. I really need to shut up about Sean but...Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds pretty good. I've been curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, Oh, it's really pretty good. And fast and fun, so if you don't like it at least you won't have wasted too much time on it. At least, that's how I see it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jenny, I'm a paranormal/urban fantasy/sci-fi kinda girl but I've read a few reviews for this book and I really want to read it, and If I Stay so I guess i'm going to have to make a few exceptions.
    Back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tristan, I love paranormal/fantasy/sci-fi stuff too but then again, I like just about any genre. This one was fun, though. I did not, however like If I Stay, but everyone else seems to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suey, LOL! That's what I like to hear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished this book and really liked it. Payton didnt really bother me. I think she just handle the situation horrible wrong, which I think a lot of teens would. I cant wait to read something else by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura H, Yeah, I wouldn't have handled things that way so I had a hard time relating but I know some teens would react that way. I'm keeping my eyes open for more of this authors books too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a really cute read. I've been hearing a lot about this one, so I'll have to check it out the next time I break out of PR/UF land.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marla, Yeah, it's cute. Worth the read.

    ReplyDelete