Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: The Boyfriend List

Title The Boyfriend List
By E. Lockhart
For Fun
Source Library

First Line
Before anyone reading this thinks to call me a slut-or even just imagines I'm incredibly popular- let me point out that this list includes absolutely every single boy I have ever had the slightest little any-kind-of-anything with.


Synopsis
Ruby's having a bad day. Actually she's having a bad month. Her boyfriend dumped her for her so called best friend, her friends are mad at her for kissing the boy after he was an ex and she's become an outcast at her too small private school. And to top it all off, she's having panic attacks and has to see a shrink!

General thoughts
I think because of the title of the books and the funny little frog I expected to laugh my way through this one and write it off as fluffy and silly. That's just not possible anymore. Sure, it was fun and incredibly easy to read but that doesn't mean there wasn't some great depth to it. I was so engaged in this one I almost stayed up too late (sorry, people, I love reading but rarely, RARELY, does a book keep me from precious sleep) and at one point was so mad at Ruby's "best friend" I slammed the book down on my knees. I love books that can evoke physical reactions out of you! Don't you? This one was a surprisingly relatable, and coming from me...that's saying something. I don't easily relate to silly teenager thoughts and feelings. Great read! I'm excited to get to the rest of these books.  My only complaint was the footnotes, what was that all about?! Argh! I'm still thinking of things I like about it but I won't go on and on just read this one, read them all!

Characters
Oh boy, don't get me started! Ruby was perfectly flawed. Her voice makes you take her side but it's more than that, she may have had some problems but did she really deserve what she got? I definitely want more Ruby. Ruby's parents were just plain crazy but they were real and present and I haven't seen that for awhile in YA books.  Kim, the supposed "best" friend...What. A. Bitch!!!! I liked Norah and Meghan, Ruby's real friends and wanted to get to know more about them. And then there's the 15 boys. I won't name them all but I will say: I loved Noel and when he takes Ruby's hand when she apologizes to let her know he's not mad I think I girly sighed a little.

Would I recommend it?
YES! Even if you think it looks fluffy and too immature for the likes of "well read" you, YES!

10 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction you did when I saw the cover -- I thought, how cute, but that it must be a real "lightweight" read -- glad to hear that it turned out to be such a page-turner with some real depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Boyfriend List! The other books in the series are amazing too: The Boy Book and The Treasure Map Of Boys. The most recent one, Real Live Boyfriends, I haven't had the chance to read yet. I actually got a kick out of some of the footnotes, but that's because I'm almost as crazy as Ruby. You should also check out Fly On The Wall by E. Lockhart--it's a stand alone book that was awesome. Now I want to restart that series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TheBookGirl, They're totally worth your time.

    Jessica, LOL, I love when just talking about a book makes you want to read it all over again. I'm definitely checking out her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you liked it! The footnotes drove me nuts in this one, but they didn't bother me as much in the others. Hope you like the rest of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, Oh, I'm sure I will. I wish I could remember who recommended it so I could thank them! I should start making a list of who recommended what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought, from the cover, was also 'funny book'. After reading your review I may pick this one up. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm listening to this right now and really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana, I know, and yet I still always judge books by their covers.

    Janssen, Isn't it great?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heard a LOT about this one...definitely need to check it out :D Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. iLuvReadingTooMuch, You should. It's one I thought I'd get to eventually but am glad I got to it sooner. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete