Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Review: Bring Me Back

Title Bring Me Back
By B.A. Paris
Genre Adult, Psychological Thriller, Suspense
Format Ebook
Rating ⭐️

Synopsis
Finn and Layla were in love and Finn was about ready to propose. On a road trip he stops at a rest station and leaves Layla sleeping in the car while he uses the restroom. When he comes back, Layla is gone. That's the story he tells the police, but it's not the whole truth. Years later Finn's grief and Layla's sister Ellen's grief have brought the two together. But when they get engaged everything starts falling apart. Item's from Ellen's childhood with Layla start to show up and an old neighbor claims to have seen Layla. Could Layla be back? What does she want? Is she seeking revenge?

First Sentence
We were on our way back from skiing in Megeve.



I really loved Paris' other two books, Behind Closed Doors and The Breakdown so I was eager for this one. However, instead of buying it I borrowed it from the library and, boy, am I glad I did. Spending a  single dime on this would have been as bad as spending all that time reading it.

I kept seeing disappointed reviews so I should have known but I still had my hopes up. This book was one big mess! It honestly felt like Paris grabbed an old rejected manuscript from ages ago and polished it up a bit and her publishers published it now that she's made a name for herself.

It was awful. The twist wasn't surprising at all and completely unbelievable, the characters were all flat and uninteresting and the plot was boring and repetitive and made me lose interest 50 pages in.

Please, please, please don't let this one deter you from her others, though, they were both very good. This one should have been left at the bottom of her rejected manuscripts pile.

Oh well. Every author  usually has a book or two that disappoints us. I intend to read anything else she publishes so it wasn't a complete loss.

9 comments:

  1. I agree this isn't her best among the books she's written. Hopefully her next one will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't waste money on this one; sorry it was so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually didn't like BEHIND CLOSED DOORS that much, so I haven't read anything else by this author. Sounds like I can skip BRING ME BACK. Maybe I'll eventually try THE BREAKDOWN, but maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d try The Breakdown before completely writing her off.

      Delete
  4. Behind Closed Doors has been on my TBR for forever, but I will definitely skip this one. Glad you didn't spend any money on it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Try Behind Closed Doors of The Breakdown. Skip this one.

      Delete
  5. Oh no!!! I will definitely be skipping this one!! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete