Friday, October 28, 2016

Review: Behind Closed Doors

Title Behind Closed Doors
By B. A. Paris
Genre Adult Suspense
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Jack and Grace are the perfect couple. He's a successful lawyer who's never lost a case and Grace is slim, elegant and the perfect hostess at parties. But why doesn't Grace ever go out without Jack? Why does he never leave her side? Why does she not even have a cell phone? And why are there bars on all the windows of the house?  Sometimes things aren't as they appear.

First Sentence
The champagne bottle knocks against the marble kitchen counter, making me jump.



First off. Huge shout out to Marce for recommending this book!

 I'm glad I picked this one up. I listened to it on audio while I cleaned, went walking or did yard work. I would find any excuse to listen to it. In the end, I just lay on the couch listening.

Maybe you can guess from the synopsis what's really going on and maybe you can't. I knew pretty quickly what was going on. It's not a huge mystery. But the author reveals this early on too so I don't think it was meant to be a mystery. That's why, you'll notice, I called it a suspense. And, boy, was it suspenseful! I was hooked from page one! And it was so creepy! More than once I got that delightfully crept out feeling.

The book wasn't perfect though. Maybe I noticed more because I listened to it rather than read it but this book was littered, and I meant LITTERED with cliches. It didn't bother me at all I just noticed. Besides I wasn't really interested in the writing anyway. The plot was so great I didn't care! Not to say it was bad writing just nothing new or original.

Well gee! I'm having a hard time writing this review. I feel like I can't say anything much without giving away the plot and spoiling it. Just know that I loved it and would highly recommend it.

Should you read it?
Yes! Even if this isn't your type of book, read it! You won't regret it.

10 comments:

  1. This is the one you mentioned at book club, right? I want to read it. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. This one might pull you out of your slump. Way intense.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shut out Jenny. Giggling about the cliches, but I understand and I took it as Grace sarcasm, her way of getting through with little clues. I wonder if I highlighted any. I have been struggling with what book for my book club but I think this will be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I loved it!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, I'm going to have to put this one on my reading list! I hope it's not too scary, though I don't tend to know the difference between scary and suspenseful! I'm glad you enjoyed this one despite the cliches. Seems like it's been a while since you've had a 4 star read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more suspenseful and creepy than scary.

      Delete
  4. I have this one on my list to read; all the reviews I've read of it have been pretty positive. And they all agree it's an intense read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually love psychological thrillers, but this book drove me crazy. It was compelling, just not subtle or complex enough. Glad you liked it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mostly intrigued by how Grace was going to get out of the situation and I thought that part of it was awesome. Especially because the author did a great job of making you feel as hopeless as Grace.

      Delete