Friday, August 18, 2017

Mini Movie Reviews #11

Valerian
Rating ★★★
No, I haven't read the GNs but I'm always up for a good science fiction. I believe movies are made to entertain and this one entertained. My favorite part of this one was the opening sequence that showed all the alien races meeting over the years to the song Space Oddity by David Bowie.  My biggest beef with the movie was Dane Dehaan. I can not stand his pale face and his voice grates on my nerves. Plus he looks like he's 12 years old. He sort of ruined the whole movie for me. Still, it was beautiful and eye pleasing and, as I mentioned, entertaining.





Atomic Blonde 
Rating
I had high hopes for this one. There aren't enough kick ass heroine movies out there anymore. I couldn't wait to see Charlize Theron beat the crap out of people. Sadly, I was bored through most of the movie. It was disjointed and confusing, as it jumped from past to present, and the twist at the ending didn't feel like a twist at all to me. I love James McAvoy but he disappointed in this one. However, I did like Bill Skarsgard. He's an up and coming star that I'm really liking. Just skip this one, though.  I guess we'll have to wait for someone else to get the kick ass heroine movie right.





Dunkirk
Rating ★★★
I think the collective time I spent watching the preview for this one at the theater, on rentals, and Facebook adds was probably longer that the actual movie. It was SOOO over  advertised! I was so sick of seeing the preview that I denounced seeing the movie. However, my husband wanted to see it (isn't that how it always goes?) so I relented. Perhaps it was my incredibly low expectations but the movie was entertaining. I knew nothing about this historical event and while I heard the movie got some things wrong, I think it got its point across. I liked how it followed a select few people around to tell the story. It made me connect emotionally. I liked it.

11 comments:

  1. Lol. Corey and I saw Valerian a week or so ago and loved it AND we just saw Atomic Blonde last night and loved it. Sorry Dane Dehaan ruined Valerian for you and that you didn't enjoy Atomic Blonde. Still haven't seen Dunkirk. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You liked AB? I was SO bored!!!

      Delete
    2. Yep. I really liked it I was thought it was really interesting. Sorry you were so bored! That would definitely suck!

      Delete
    3. Well at least you liked it.

      Delete
  2. That sucks about Atomic Blonde, it looks kick ass good. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disappointed to hear that Atomic Blonde is boring, as I had high hopes for that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I'm the only one who disliked it so it's still worth seeing.

      Delete
  4. I liked Dunkirk, too. It's not the greatest movie I've ever seen (my husband thought it was INCREDIBLE), but it is good. I agree -- I connected with it emotionally. I'd also never heard about Dunkirk, so it was good to learn about what happened there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will eventually watch Dunkirk... but I'll wait until I forget the hype. I have no wish to see Valerian (dude, that boy is PALE af), but I'm sad Atomic Blonde wasn't great. I'm off to see Girls Trip this Friday with some of my book club friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to see Valerian, but the reviews... The reviews were not so hot. :(

    ReplyDelete