Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Review: The Secret

Title The Secret
By Rhonda Byrne
Genre Non Fiction/Self Help
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Fragments of a Great Secret have been found in the oral traditions, in literature, in religions and philosophies throughout the centuries. For the first time, all the pieces of The Secret come together in an incredible revelation that will be life-transforming for all who experience it.(From Goodreads)







Ya'll remember when this book came out right? It seemed like everyone was talking about it and then they made a movie (which I haven't seen) and it surged in popularity again. Well, if you haven't heard of it it's basically about The Law of Attraction. You know, what you think about you make reality. 

In the end I gave this book five stars because I think there's definitely something to this theory. I've seen it happen in my own life in certain areas. It's pretty cool and also pretty sad when you see how much negativity and sadness you can draw to yourself. 

While I was reading this I was slapped in the face with what a horrifically negative thinker I am and if nothing else, came away from it determined to think more positively and draw more beautiful happy things into my life. 

The book was written in a really hokey way. You can almost hear the narrator saying the cliched, "I did it and you can too!". For a book trying to share a secret that has helped out tons of people I wished it hadn't been presented in such a self help/motivational tone. 

So do I believe I can make myself a millionaire just by thinking about it and sitting back and watching the money come in? No. I have my own opinions about how The Secret works but I thought there was some truth in these pages and I liked how it encouraged me to be more positive, grateful and loving. Can't really fault a book that does that, can you? 

Should you read it
At just under 200 pages, I think it's worth a read for sure.  

11 comments:

  1. I need to work on being more positive; I think sometimes my first reaction to things is probably a bit more negative than it should be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to change my attitude about a lot of things lately. I think attitude (positive/negative) really plays into how we see things and how we deal with things. Sounds like this book is a good one for showing that at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it had a lot of good points and things to consider. Positive thoughts definitely help me get through things better.

      Delete
  3. I do remember this one being all the rage! I never actually knew what the secret was though, I don't think. :) Nice to see a review from someone who has read it, and I do think there is a lot positive thinking and confidence in ourselves can do.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read the book, but I've gone through this phase in my life in recent years. I decided to start keeping a gratitude journal and learned how to be grateful for even the tiniest thing that brings even an ounce of happiness. It works. I would suggest this as a way to habitually start thinking more positively, although I have no idea what the book suggests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a very similar idea to a gratitude journal. I just keep the journal. It really helps to focus on the good things

      Delete
  5. I remember when this book first came out and what the flavor of the month, but never read it. I do believe that like attracts like so we should all strive for a positive attitude, but need to work on that. I've gotten more negative over the years and can see the difference. Think I'll follow Cathy's example and start a gratitude log. Thanks for the good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the hype turned me off but I'm glad I gave it a shot. It had some good points and the gratitude journal is a great idea. I do it myself.

      Delete
  6. I remember this book! I think what you put out into the world you get back. I like the message of being more positive. I could probably use some tips from this book.

    ReplyDelete