Tuesday, December 6, 2011

By Popular Demand, A Night With Christopher Paolini


Alright it wasn't THAT popular of demand but a few of you asked how the night with Christopher Paolini went. I'm a loser and never bring a camera to these things so I wasn't going to post about it but thanks to Suey, who did take pictures, I'll can share some pictures.Thanks, Suey!

After arriving 2 and 1/2 hours before the event started we got there to wait in line...yeah it was that crazy! There were probably at least 50 people ahead of us and by 6:30, when they let us in, the line was very, very long! Crazy! People were dressed up in medieval garb and when Christopher got there they played a fanfare and had a sword salute to welcome him. Holy nerdy-ness!

See, long ago, when I first picked up Eragon, the first book in the series, I saw the picture of Christopher and after noting how young he was I concluded that, yes, indeed, he looked exactly like the kind of guy that would write an epic fantasy. Now don't get mad and call me some kind of nerd racist, I'm a nerd myself, so I can say that. Besides look at him.

 
See? He's a bit nerdy looking. Anywho, after listening too him talk about his books, and read from his book in an overly dramatic voice, and answer questions, my previous impression of him was proven to be true; he's a nerd. ;) It was a total blast! A total nerdy blast!



The signing went well. He's the first author who I've ever seen sign THAT fast and still manage to make eye contact and small talk with each person.



My favorite part of the evening was when he was leaving the room where he had given his speech and some girl in the crowd yelled out, "will you marry me?!" Why did it amuse me? Because that exact thing happened to his character Eragon in the second book. Alright it wasn't THAT funny, but it was a little amusing.

So, there you have it, my meager attempt at a recap of the evening.

13 comments:

  1. Love it! I love all the nerdyness that comes out in people, I am too shy to let my true geek hang out in public but I can appreciate others who do!

    How exciting though to get to meet him and have a set of signed books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the event was lots of nerdy fun :)

    Woohoo for getting all your books signed! So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was shocked at the nerdery that he saw at the Paolini event here. And trust me, it was nothing compared to the geekdom at the Provo event! A fanfare? Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ang, Yeah, you really have to embrace your inner nerd for these sorts of things.

    Chrissie, Thanks! It was fun.

    Melissa, Yeah, the Provo library outdid themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did he answer back to the person who asked him to marry her? That is so funny!

    I love how you go on about his nerdiness. Was it as crazy at Markus Zusak's signing? Or, because he signed so quickly was it less crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenni, No he didn't answer back, just smiled. It was crazy but in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he's a very cute nerd though, really.

    Love the recap! You give a very good sense for what it was like! Thanks to that night, I have the desire to do a post about leggings vs. tights... but I just haven't figured out where to go with that idea yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suey, I'd be highly interested in that post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you had fun. I've never met any of my favourite authors so I imagine I'd do something equally silly and just blurt out something like that! Lucky most of my fav authors are women!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lan, Yeah, luckily I have some semblance of control or I'd be yelling stupid things too. ;) And most my favorite authors are guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is pretty cool! The one thing I regret is when Christopher Paolini was still self publishing Eragon, he came to the library where I worked to do a signing. I did not go, because I did not know who he was. He was just a local author doing a signing. My co-worker bought a couple of the self published additions, and when Eragon blew up she sold her original signed copies for $800.00 a piece. It sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unabridged Bookshelf, That is so awesome! That would have been quite the payday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing this! I was hoping you would! I love hearing about when people go to book signings (despite the twinge of jealousy that comes over me for a few minutes). I always find it interesting to hear what the author is like in real life.

    ReplyDelete