Thursday, December 29, 2011

End Of The Year Book Survey



I saw this fun survey over on It's All About Books and she got it from The Perpetual Page-Turner. I've decided I better do some kind of year wrap up...don't you? Oh well, you have to sit though it anyway. ;)


Bookish Bests

1. Best Book You Read In 2011? 

The Neon Court (Matthew Swift 3) by Kate Griffin of course! Seriously, people, how much do I have to rave about this series until you pick it up?!

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?

Oh, wow this is a toss up! Can I choose two? K, I'd have to go with Intertwined by Gina Showalter and Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken. Intertwined had the coolest sounding premise ever AND a male protagonist. I was so freaking excited to read it and all I got was bad writing and a book that dragged on and on! Brightly Woven could have been so good but I felt like the author got to obsessed with having her characters travel all over the map that came with her book and it took forever to get to the point.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?


The Ghost and the Goth by Stacy Kade. I thought the cover was funny and I thought it would be a light fluffy  story so I bought it put it on my shelf and there it sat for quite awhile. I Finally picked it up this year and ended up LOVING it! It was light and funny, but well thought out and even had some depth to it. Don't you love that?!



4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

Holy crap, I'm always talking about The Matthew Swift series so I'd have to say those books but since no one has picked it up...that I know of...I'd also say the Curse Workers series.

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?

The Shade series by Jeri Smith-Ready. I've discovered others and liked them too but the Shade series takes the cake!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?

New to me? Jeri Smith-Ready, Rebecca Lim, Dan Wells, Sara Zarr. And it's not just cause I liked their books. It's because they actually know how to write.


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Well, either I didn't read a genre I usually don't or there isn't a genre I won't read cause I can't think of a book I read that was out of my comfort zone. I can say I wouldn't have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith if my book club hadn't read it and I liked it so maybe that can count.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?

Literally? The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. I started reading it one night and stayed up all night to read it. I could NOT put it down.

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?

The Neon Court by Kate Griffin. It's the third is a series and I was so freaking excited waiting for it.


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?



Well, I think I'll have to got with Existence by Abbi Glines. I don't know why but I just love it!



11. Most memorable character in 2011? 

There's a lot of FAVORITE new characters but if I had to choose one that was memorable I'd say Holling Hoodhood from The Wednesday Wars.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?

Kate Griffin (The Matthew Swift series) writes amazingly but I also loved Rebecca Lim's (Mercy) writing too.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011? 

I re-read Getting the Girl by Markus Zusak and cried the whole way through it. I just LOVE that book. It's one of those books that you swear was written just for you.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read? 

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. N'uff said.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011? 

I'm not sure. I'm not a highlighting reader I just smile at beautiful sentences and move on. I'd have to agree with my friend Suey and say Markus Zusak probably takes the cake in the writing department.

16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012? 

Oh man, a lot! the Curse Workers series. The Ghost and the Goth. Heck, I might even re-read the Matthew Swift series again this year.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers! 

Under the Dome by Stephen King. It could have been because I was reading it with a group and I actually got to talk about everything with people but, yeah, that one for sure.


Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2011



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2011? 

I just started blogging this year so everyone's blog was a new discovery for me! 

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2011? 

Actually it was pre-blog but I liked my review of...you guessed it, The Neon Court.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog? 

My post, Sheltered Childhood or Misinterpreted Youth, had so many comments it actually started bugging me. ;)

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog? 

Jessica from Thoughts At One In The Morning has fun discussions and B.J from Dark Side of the Covers has a great discussion post once a week.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

Markus Zusak signing for sure! It was so freaking awesome to actually meet him and see him in person and have him sign my books. He was so nice and personable that it just made it that much better.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2011?

Uh, I'd say just getting started blogging was probably the best. But meeting all you awesome bloggers is my favorite part too.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Yeah, the post, Sheltered Childhood or Misinterpreted Youth, got so much attention I was going nuts. ;) 

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I LOVE writing my soccer posts and I wish they got a little more love, even if they aren't about books. :( 

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Again, just starting to blog and making friends with all you guys was a great bookish discovery. 

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yep, just finished my Goodreads challenge of reading 100 books. I also finally read Under the Dome this year. Yay!

Looking Ahead... 


1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2011 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2012?

The Vampire Academy series. I seriously need to read these books!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2012?

Um, yeah, The Minority Council (Matthew Swift 4) by Kate Griffin. Did you have to ask? I also can't wait for Black Heart (Curse Workers 3) by Holly Black

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2012?

I'd like to organize my blog a little better and just catch up on all those series I feel so behind on.

Well, that's all, folks. I hope you stuck with me. It's been a fun reading year and I'm excited for 2012 and all the books it will hold. 

11 comments:

  1. First off, thanks for mentioning my blog! ...even though there haven't been many of those topics as of late. I'll get back to it in January, I promise!

    Your most popular post--that one was a good one. It's always crazy when a certain post gets a ton of comments and it's hard to keep up with it. Sorry I don't comment on your soccer posts, but most of the time I read a little bit of them, if that makes you feel better (even though most of it goes over my head, lol). I'm kind of a lost cause when it comes to sports.

    Hope you're able to get caught up with the books you want to read in 2012! I'm gonna be checking out some of the books you've been recommending as well. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear so many great things about Getting the Girl, Fighting Ruben Wolfe, etc. I really need to get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the year end survey! I need to catch up on the Matthew Swift stuff for sure! Gah, so many things to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I love that your discussion post had so many comments that it started to bug you. That just makes me laugh. :)

    I need to read this Matthew Swift series. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't kill me, but I haven't even heard of the Kate Griffin books. Will put them on my TBR. I loved this list Jenny. It's great to go through and see what books really resonated with people. I hope you enjoy the Vampire Academy series (even if I have a sneaking suspicion you might not!). Good luck with the blog organisation for next year as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. K,so you just talked me into reading the Matthew Swift books but when I went to look them up I think I remember that you lent them to Rob and I think you guys told me not to read them. Is that true? Am I to prudish or something? I really just can't remember. Remember that I quit reading the Stephen King one. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT post!!! Markus Zusak is decidedly one of my favorite authors. I am totally jealous that you went to one of his signings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, Your welcome and thanks for at least reading my soccer posts. ;)

    L.L, I bet you'll love them.

    Suey, I know, the overwhelming feeling to keep up is so scary!

    Jenni, The funny things is I looked back and it didn't really get THAT many comments. I just remember stressing with trying to respond to all of them.

    Lan, LOL, that's why I've been putting them off. I'm afraid I'll hate them and fans will attack. ;)

    Adams Family, I just have the sneaking suspicion you won't like them. Just a hunch.

    Dana, It was so awesome. I hope you get the chance one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I might have to steal it ;)

    Ok ok you convinced me I will read the Matthew Swift books :P I love reading your reviews, you are much more critical of the books than I am and it is great to see the flip side of the coin. Can't wait to see what you have planned for next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for your book club -- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite books :)

    Hope you have a great New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ang, Oh, good. I hope you like the Matthew Swift books. Thanks for enjoying my "other" opinion.

    TheBookGirl, Yeah, my book club is great at getting me to read books I wouldn't normally read.

    ReplyDelete