Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Worst Of 2017


And now the worst of 2017. I used to love doing these posts. I had so much fun bashing books. Sigh! Since I got married I've noticed I've lost my knack for ranting about books in a funny manner.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm too busy dealing with real life to muster up the energy to hate a book or if it's that whole compromise thing you have to learn in marriage that's making me look at books with more leniency but somethings off. I've also been much better at putting books down that aren't a match for me instead of forcing my way through them. I'm sure if I had forced my way through them they would have been one star reviews. Who knows! I did read some real doozys this year. I feel like my reviews were meaner than they were funny which makes me sad. I'm going to work on that.


Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma 
The WORST book this year for sure.

The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutowski
I loved the first two books so this sad excuse for a ending left me shaking with rage.

The Mothers by Brit Bennett 
Eye twitching ensued while I read this one.

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey 
I had to skim through the second half of this one just to finish it.

The Girl From The Sea by Shalini Boland
Oi! I really don't like the trend these types of books are following. I also felt the writing was horribly amateurish.

While You Were Sleeping by Kathryn Croft
Another one I had to skim through just to finish. The writing was an unedited mess.

I guess just six books that I downright disliked isn't too bad right? Ugh! See how I couldn't even use the word hate? I'm not sure what's wrong with me. 

13 comments:

  1. You are going soft, Jenny! :) I'm glad I didn't continue on with the Winner's series. It's so disappointing when a series ends badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugely disappointing...the book and my softness. ;)

      Delete
  2. As soon as I saw the title, I knew The Winner's Kiss would be on your list. I'm still sorry you hated it so much. I plan to finish the series this year. I'll be interested to see what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do you think if I read these books I'll love them??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Actually I think you’d agree with me this time. Except, you might like Haunting Violet. I might have liked it in a different mood.

      Delete
  4. Interesting observation. Since I didn't start reviewing books until long after I got married, I've never even thought about how marriage might change someone's review style. Huh. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have got to the point where I can pick books that suit me, so worst reads are not always that terrible a book. They are more like just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not bad, only disliking 6 books. I wish we could love them all, but I know it doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't read any of these titles. I'll keep your views in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still plan on reading the rest of the Winner's trilogy, if anything to see what you hated so much about the last book. I had to do that with the Divergent series, too. People raged about Book 3, so I read it just to see what all the hullabaloo was about. I actually found it a bit better than Book 2. Book 2 was just a nothing-burger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, The Winner's Kiss ruined the whole trilogy!! I'm still miffed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember wanting to read Imaginary Girls (that cover!) but thankfully I've heard enough to dissuade me. And I don't know that The Winner's Kiss left me shaking in rage, but it was completely unforgettable... like, I really don't remember how it ended. But I still vividly remember the first book and most of book 2... Huh, that's weird!

    ReplyDelete