Sunday, March 20, 2016

Review: A Head Full of Ghosts

Title A Head Full of Ghosts
By Paul Tremblay
Genre Adult, Suspense
Pages 286
Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Merry recollects her tragic childhood. At eight years old her father lost his job and her older sister Marjorie begins to show signs of acute schizophrenia. Merry's father turns to the Catholic church thinking Marjorie is possessed. When a production company offers to pay them to turn their lives and the upcoming exorcism into a TV show, the family reluctantly agrees. As Merry reveals more and more of the past, the truth of her horrific past is revealed.

First Sentance
"This must be so difficult for you, Meredith."


  • I was having trouble getting into the book I had chosen to read and on a whim I started reading this one. I can't remember who was talking about it out there in the blogosphere but when it came up as a Kindle Daily Deal I purchased it. So I started to read it and got sucked right in
  • I love books that have an adult protagonist recalling their childhood. So what you get is a very adult book but from a child's perspective. 
  • I liked the way this one made you wince in uncomfortable horror at what you were reading. It was really rather disturbing. And what made it worse was knowing but not knowing what was going on.
  • I liked the mystery. It wasn't so much mysterious as it was confusing. That's not the best word to describe it. I guess what I mean is this one has you constantly second guessing yourself. 
  • Not only did it have an intriguing plot but it was very character heavy too. This story was as much about the characters and each of their own very real struggles as it was about the events taking place. 
  • The writing, plot and scenes reminded me of a Stephen King book. (That's high praise coming from me.) 
  • The ending had me feeling a bit let down. Not only was it sad and shocking in a bad way but it was sort of confusing too.
  • All in all, though, I liked the book. It was disturbing and not one I'd recommend to everyone but it was well written, engaging and memorable.
Should you read it?
Like I said, it's not one I'd recommend to everyone. It's really kind of disturbing and graphic so if that's not your thing I'd avoid it. However, if you like suspense, and a plot that reveals itself one scene at a time, I'd give it a read. 

12 comments:

  1. If I wasn't prego, I would consider reading this. I've been wanting to get into mystery and horror books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, probably not the best book to read in your condition. ;)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds complicated; one of those books that's hard to review. Some things about it intrigue me, but I'm not sure it's a book I would end up liking. Still, I appreciate your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was good but the ending just didn't do it for me and that always makes a book hard to review.

      Delete
  3. Is this the one you talked about at book club? It sounds so interesting and I love scary books. I'm often disappointed by how not scary they are, but I think this one might actually live up to it. I think I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It's not so much scary as disturbing and intense.

      Delete
  4. I considered buying this one but then I remembered I never do get around to reading the e-books and there's a reason I stopped buying them. So, I didn't. Sounds like one I probably wouldn't enjoy. So glad you reviewed it! There was a list of books that break the fourth wall and it was on that list. It circulated a bit, last week, and a couple of my friends were talking about A Head Full of Ghosts because of that list. Maybe that was the same reason your friends were talking about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be where I heard about it. You don't read ebooks? I was against them at first but I like the ease of access.

      Delete
    2. Very seldom. I did read an e-graphic novel, this weekend, but only because it was on sale at a decent price. As it turned out, I think I like graphic novels better in electronic form. That was a surprise!

      Delete
  5. Hm. I like a book where I never know quite what is real and what isn't because that's how the author intended it to be, but if it's unintentionally confusing then ... no thanks. I might give this one a try. Probably not, though. Thanks for the balanced review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually think you might like it or at least get it better than I did.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this review. This has been crossing my path way too often these days. And, it looks like I will pick it up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete