Thursday, June 1, 2017

Review: Forgotten

Title Forgotten
By Cat Patrick
Genre YA contemporary
Rating ⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
London's not normal. Every night her brain resets. She can't remember her past. She can, however, remember events from her future. Relying on notes and reminders on her phone she tries to navigate through high school.

First Sentence
Aren't Friday's supposed to be good?






This is one of the many books I purchased right when it came out and then never read. I guess it was time.

I was very eager to read it when I bought it and when I reminded myself what it was about I was eager to read it again. It sounded fascinating. Sadly, it didn't hold up to its exiting premise.

So, what went wrong? The romance took over the entire story. You know what I mean. It happens way too often. Synopsis sounds great, book starts out okay, then the love interest enters the scene and all's lost. Sigh!

And this romance was BORING. It didn't have any passion or tension. It was stale and just plain...meh.

And the writing felt like a rough first draft. There weren't typos or anything, it just wasn't very well written. There were a lot of details that didn't add up or make sense. With a story like this, it needed to make more sense to be believable and it just wasn't. I was sadly disappointed.

I gave it two stars, however,  because somehow it kept me reading, though I have no idea how.

Should you read it
Meh, I'd pass on this one.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fasinating premise, so sorry to hear that it didn't live up to its potential. Why would you ruin a great plot device with a boring romance? And I hear you on poor writing! Drives me mad! Polish, polish, polish a story until it shines! Hope that your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad. I liked the idea of remembering your future, but not your past. At least you got it off your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I hate it when the romance takes over the book. Especially one with such an interesting concept. After reading the blurb, I was totally pulled in and wanted to read it but after hearing that the romance is way too prevalent and the writing isn't quite polished, I think I'll pass on this one. The books we read can't all be good ones :) Lovely review, Jenny!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hate when romance takes over. Bleh!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very ambitious premise. Too ambitious apparently. Sloppy writing doesn't help. Bummer -- sounds like it could have been really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think she thought it all the way through.

      Delete
  5. Bummer! The premise is amazing. I want someone to steal it and write it well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer this was disappointing. I read The Originals by Cat PAtrick and liked it, but I haven't read this or any of her other books. Maybe I'll avoid this one lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd still give the author another shot. This might have been her first book.

      Delete
  7. That's too bad. I haven't read it, but you're right, the synopsis sounds very intriguing. Because the romance takes over, I'd probably like it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading it back when it first came out and thinking it was cute and fun. But I haven't read it since then, so who knows what I'd think now. On to better books for you hopefully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate when the romance takes over!

    ReplyDelete