Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Review: Wonder

Tilte Wonder
By R.J Palacio
Genre Middle Grade Contemporary
Pages 315


First Sentence I know I'm not a normal ten-year-old kid.


Synopsis
Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home-schooled by his parents his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, he's being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. All he wants is to be accepted - but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all? (from Goodreads)


What it has going for it
Well, yeah. It was a quick easy read. And, yes, there was a lovely message about kindness above all that I fully believe in but ashamedly don't always practice. 

What's lacking
I really feel bad for the poor review some books get by me. I honestly have very little to say about this book. Nothing really nice and nothing really mean, just...nothing. My biggest two problems with the book were, first, it was so freaking hyped up! It was supposed to be this tear jerking,  leave you all warm and fuzzy inside book and it was...OK. That's it, just OK. My second problem with it was that, because it was just OK, it wasn't memorable. I just read it a week ago and I'm already forgetting all about it.  So there you have it; a short review that probably took longer to read than the story stuck with me. 

Yea or Nay?
Yes, as a matter of fact, go ahead and read it, just don't go in with high expectations and a tissue box. If you're anything like me you won't need it.  

20 comments:

  1. I was wondering why you only gave it 2 stars and now I know. I'm sorry it wasn't memorable to you. I thought it was completely memorable. And, I thought the story was more than just okay. It touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so SO many people have been touched by this one. I can totally respect that. It just fell flat for me. I'm not even sure why. :(

      Delete
  2. I needed the tissue. And I don't think I'll be forgetting this book any time soon either! I do think its agenda showed just a bit, but somehow I didn't care. I loved it and thought it deserved its hype! Book club should be interesting... as always!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh! It sounds like I might be the only one at book club who was lukewarm on this one. I know if Susan at Blogging 'bout books was there she'd be on my side. ;)

      Delete
    2. Susan didn't really like this one? I will have to go look that up!

      Delete
  3. Haven't read this one, but I had to see what you said about it. I feel like you are the Simon Cowell of the book blogging world and when you say a book is good I know it's GOOD. :) I hope you take that as a compliment because it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that this one left such a meh impression on you. That's part of the reason I don't really read super-hyped books, as no way can they live up to all the expectations. Hope your next read is more memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, stupid hype. Always ruining a perfectly good book.

      Delete
  5. I appreciate your comments, as I often feel this way towards hyped books. I actually haven't read this one yet, but it's been recommended to me by a few sources. I sometimes struggle with "crying books," since I'm not a big crier. If I read this, I'll definitely go in with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't think this one was a crying book but apparently others did.

      Delete
  6. This is the first review I've seen of this book that hasn't raved about it. Very interesting to read, I definitely think books that get super hyped do mostly end up being disappointing. It's a shame, but better luck with your next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several of us at book club that didn't like it. So, I'm not the only one.But, yeah, it seems most people love it.

      Delete
  7. +JMJ+

    It happens to me, too: a book gets so hyped up and then when I finally get to it, I feel completely underwhelmed. And then I wonder whether it just failed to live up to the hype or was actually not that great to begin with.

    On the other hand, I wouldn't want to get rid of hype entirely. It's part of the experience of being a modern reader--and I wouldn't want to read in a vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if no one (me included) ever got excited about a book I wouldn't enjoy reading as much.,

      Delete
  8. It's me and you against the world, Jenny!

    I totally agree with your assessment -- WONDER is not a bad book, it's just not as amazing as everyone says it is. It teaches a great message, for sure, and that's important, but it doesn't automatically make the story/writing amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always feel a bit guilty about this book because everyone keeps telling me how amazing it is and yet I haven't read it for myself yet. I'm glad you've lowered my expectations a little bit! Hopefully I'll get around to read it myself eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so wary of books that get this much hype.

      Delete
  10. This book was definitely hyped up. I got the same impression from the reviews. Maybe I'll keep passing on this one.

    ReplyDelete