Friday, July 27, 2018

Review: Our Souls at Night

Title Our Souls at Night
By Kent Haruf
Genre Adult, Fiction
Format Audio book
Rating ⭐️⭐️

Synopsis
Empty-nesters and widow Addie and widower Louis have made an arrangement to spend the nights together and keep each other company. They talk about all sorts of things and it helps them sleep but in a small town people will talk.

First Sentence
And then there was the day when Addie Moore made a call on Louis Waters.  




First of all I can not read this title with out thinking of this Spongebob episode and adding the inflection.


Now that you have the correct way to say the title down let's move on to the story.

This is a short story and a very sad one at that. We have two people who have reached their "twilight" years. Their spouses and children are gone and they're puttering about alone and lonely. So they decided to spend the nights together. Of course, in a small town people start talking and assuming there's some sort of love affair going on and take in upon themselves to judge the hell out of them.

Seriously! What the hell is wrong with us? Why do we feel the need to judge people? Argh! This book just made me mad and depressed.

If it only showing us how badly we judge then I might have accepted and liked it but there was no happy ending, no escape from the judging; the uptight, judgmental people won. I was just so sad.

8 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that this book didn't stick with me at all because I remember loving it. But, even your description hardly rang a bell. Interesting. I did enjoy it, though; that much I know. Maybe I liked it more for the idea of lonely people being able to enjoy each other's company and overlooked the judgment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think it's going to stick with me. I was bothered that two lonely people were NOT able to enjoy each other's company. They gave up and let the judging people win.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes sad can be good. But it sounds like this sad was just depressing. Was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this one just depressed me. I'm all for a good sad novel but this one didn't fit the bill.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, this one's definitely not for me. Sorry it didn't work for you either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I definitely need to skip this one... Great review and thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s such a quick read that I would outright pass it up but yeah. You’re not missing much.

      Delete