Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How a Fun Book Event Pushed Me Over The Edge

So, there seems to be some amazing bookish events happening and about to happen at my local library. I had the opportunity to meet Marissa Myer and just two days later attended The Family Literacy Symposium at the same library.


Now a lot of these events are directed towards YA books and YA book readers but this one, while having a few YA things, was more directed to adults; a nice change of pace.  The keynote speech was by Haven Kimmel  author of these amazing memoirs and even has some other books I've yet to read. I must rectify that.



I loved these memoirs and highly recommend them! The keynote speech was unlike any I've ever been to. We had Haven start a discussion on Ereaders. We heard all sorts of opposing opinions and it was fascinating to me, though, some people were disappointed she didn't talk more about her past. Well, I say, read the books if you want to know more about her past!  Anywho, it was a blast.




We then went to a session where the library director and some library workers talked about the best books they'd read in 2011. Sigh! You can imagine the list of books I walked away with. No? Well let me enlighten you. I've been trying really hard for the past six months to not break the 600 mark of books on my TBR list. Well, it's all over now! 



Eight books people! Ahhh! No, I'm excited for them but it sure didn't help the poor TBR list. Plus, as you may have noticed, these are all adult books. Some are even nonfiction.  I mean, I love YA books but every once and a while you need a change, you know? 

So, yeah, that's how a fun event pushed me over the 600 mark on my TBR list. 

14 comments:

  1. Nice! I know I need to expand in my reading genres a little bit. I'm hoping reading some classics breaks that cycle. Hope you enjoy those new books! (and congrats on breaking 600 ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, it's not a good thing but thanks! :P I like breaking up my genres.

      Delete
  2. Ahh I didn't realize this had already happened! I'm missing all the good events at the library lately. :( I've heard good things about Ready Player One. I think it might be YA... But I'm definitely copy down the other books. I could use a little genre variety, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Ready Player One might just be YA but the rest aren't. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love book bloggers! I always think I have it bad until I read someone else's blog and hear how many books they have waiting. 600 is colossal! I always jump at the chance to read some adult stuff. I love YA but sometimes you just need to step away. The cover of The American Heiress is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely need a break from all the YA once and a while. I like the cover of The American Heiress too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like your library is really awesome! I hope that I'll get to work in one like that someday! My library in my hometown doesn't attract as many well known authors are yours, although they do have bookish events and discussions about once a month! And now I'm definitely going to have to check out those books and see if I want to add them to my TBR list as well :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's this one employee that's in charge of the events and she just does an amazing job. So, maybe when you get the job you can be "that" employee. ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you and Suey had a good time on Saturday. I wanted to go, but other duties called that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have been awfully busy. We missed you. In fact, we missed a lot of bloggers. I guess they're only interested in YA books...or they were just busy.

      Delete
  6. Wow, it sounds as though your library is amazing! I wish my local library held events like this!

    Anyway I'm glad you had a great time and I'm surprised you have time to blog or go to library events at all with 600 books on your TBR list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, fun to see what you walked away with wanting to read! Yeah, do you think we'll ever get to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one day we'll get to them. I think it's funny we only had one book in common if I'm remembering right.

      Delete