Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Looking For Alaska

Title Looking for Alaska
By John Green
For Fun
Pages 256
Recommended by Suey

First sentence The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.

Synopsis
In search of  "a great perhaps" Miles decides to go to a boarding school in Alabama. There he makes some new friends and meets Alaska, the girl destined to change his life forever.

What its got going for it
Well, I don't mind John Green's writing style and his plots aren't full of holes. Both good things. This one had a fairly good message to it...if you can pick it out of all the alcohol fumes and cigarette smoke. And, yeah, that's about all I liked about it.

What's lacking
I wouldn't necessarily say there's anything lacking in this book but I found myself reading it with absolutely NO expression on my face, or emotion in my heart. I was bored for most of it. Usually, even if I hate a book, I'll at least FEEL hate. That's better than nothing right? Which is what I felt with this one, a big fat, who the heck cares! Anywho, half way through the book I'd figured out everything that was going to happen so I set it aside to go to bed. But I just sat there trying to figure out what exactly was bugging me about it. So, here's what bugged me about it. The only other John Green book I've read so far is Paper Towns. I don't really remember it it (never a good thing) but I remember liking it OK. The problem is, that these books are so similar. John Green is SOOOO writing about himself. Have you not noticed that his main mail characters are always average Joes with a streak of nerd in them? That his main girl characters are always "damaged" but just so dang "fun"  and "alluring"? (at least in these two books) I just felt like perhaps John Green might have been seeing a therapist at the beginning of his career and that these books were the result of some sort of self analysis exercise. I know your supposed to write what you know but nobody wants to hear about what a lame teenager you were and the damaged girl you were desperately "in love" with. At least not TWICE. I kept thinking he could have at least had the decency to write himself...er...his character right into a mental institution like J.D Salinger had the decency to do!

Yay or Nay?
Well, I'm quite sure most of you have read it already so this is a moot point, but, no, I'd say skip it.

23 comments:

  1. LOL Jenny. I never read any books by John Green, but you are not the first one saying his books are rather similar. Guess I should read just one of his books then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah, just one book and you've got the gist of the rest.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I think this book has been hyped so much for me, that I suppose I just expected it to be really "off the charts good." It's good to get a second look at it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's half my problem but, truthfully, I'm just bothered with the obvious resemblance the character and the author shared.

      Delete
  3. And here I was expecting adoration. You always manage to surprise me :) I've only read Abundance of Katherines, but it sounds kind of like it has the same main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my heck! Seriously?! Everyone has been telling me that I should read that one, it's so different. Apparently not, huh?

      Delete
  4. I will admit to the similar nature of the main characters. But each of John Green's books has enchanted or at least entertained me. I liked the character quirks and the adventure itself. I liked this as a male coming-of-age story. Perhaps you'd like his new book, THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, better, as it has a female protagonist.

    Thanks for posting this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I like male protagonists better and I'm afraid The Fault in our Stars is just going to be a study of John Green as a girl! No thanks! ;)

      Delete
    2. It's not... it truly is totally different. (The Fault in our Stars I mean.) And I think the girl in Abundance of Katherines is not damaged, but really quite normal!

      Delete
    3. No need to worry. I'll read it.

      Delete
  5. Haha, I totally thought that this book was a little autobiographical, too. :) And I did think that Paper Towns was almost just a better version of Looking for Alaska. The ideas were pretty similar - smart boy, wild girl, adventure, mystery (only Paper Towns was a lot cleaner). I think he just has a style that is not for everybody. But I still wonder what you'd think of his newest book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper Towns was definitely the better version but I feel like all of them are going to be the same story in some way or another. Yes, even The Fault in our Stars.

      Delete
    2. Seriously, it's totally not!!! :)

      Delete
  6. This is really interesting because so many people rave about this and about JG in general. I've been hesitant about this for a while, and now I'm even less sure. I'm going to get The Fault in Our Stars first, as everyone seems to have loved that so far. Thanks for the really honest review Jenny!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's one of those books that everyone loves but me. Not that, that's surprising. ;) I'll still read his other two and see if my theory proves true.

      Delete
  7. Okay, so I tried to remember why I gave this book "only" 2 stars when I first read it, and I think it was because it is a bit shocking in it's grittiness. (I'm much more desensitized now!) And because I didn't like Alaska much at all. I really can't remember. But it is my least favorite of the four, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll read the others and see what I think.

      Delete
  8. You totally crack me up Jenny. Nobody does reviews like you. I hear all sorts of things about John Green but where is just something I cannot stand about books about nice guys who fall for and just can't get over chicks with issues. If it were the other way around there would be an uproar. I have less interest in stupid men than I have in stupid women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well then his books aren't for you. Well, the ones' I've read, anyway.

      Delete
  9. Never heard of this book, but think I'll keep away from it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, someone who hasn't heard of John Green. I'm shocked! But I wouldn't take my word for it, everyone else seems to like his stuff.

      Delete
  10. See, this is why I love speculative fiction - if a character is wielding magic and stabbing vampires, it's much easier to see them as a character and not an extension of the author. LOL

    Haven't read John Green and likely won't, but your review entertains as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never thought of that but I guess it's true. I think every character is an extension of the author I just wish it wasn't so freaking obvious in Green's books.

      Delete