Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Don't Stop Now

Title Don't Stop Now
By Julie Halpern
For Fun
Pages 240
Recommended by Me

First sentence "I did it" Penny's voice whispers on my voicemail.


Synopsis
"I did it."  Three little words from the quiet over dramatic Penny sends Lillian and her best friend Josh on a road trip where they might find out if they're more than just friends.   

So I'm trying out a new review format as part of my new years resolution to try to find the good in things. Enjoy.


What its got going for it
Well, do I really need to say more than those two little words, "road trip"? K, I know, just because I like road trip books doesn't mean you do but still. So, yeah, I love a good road trip book and so I was perfectly willing to read this book and enjoy the road tripiness. And I did! It had all the fun elements of a road trip. Stops at wacky landmarks of the mid west and some fun metaphors for the landmarks and the characters. It has some romance and humor and a touch of mystery all combining for a fun read. Plus the end was so realistic and honest, I have to say it saved the book for me.

What's lacking
I'm all about good writing, both the technical aspect of writing and the plot and development and this one left nothing to be desired in those areas but the characters, especially Lillian, were a little selfish and single minded. I mean, here you have poor Penny who had a pretty awful life and problems, with things so bad she actually fakes her own kidnapping, and all Lillian can think about is whether Josh likes her or not. Really? How selfish can you be?! Meanwhile Josh was so lackadaisical and aimless and even though it was supposed to be cute I wasn't really impressed. And what was with him never wearing a shirt?! Nice abs or nor please leave something to be desired!

Yea or nay? 
I'd say yes, it was a road trip book, after all. Just don't expect to adore the characters.

13 comments:

  1. I love road trip books! Even though I haven't actually read that many. Why can't people just write fun road trip books anymore without needing there to be a deeper meaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lan, I don't know what's with the "deeper meaning" thing either. Sometimes it can just be fun.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I'll probably skip this one, since characters I can cheer for are a must for me, but it sounds like there was some fun to be had between these covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was fun, but, yeah, the characters were sorta annoying.

      Delete
  3. I've got this on my TBR list, and I'm sad to see that the characters are a little "selfish," as you say.

    At the same time, I think it's fairly well known that teenagers are, for the most part, kind of selfish. They think the world revolves around them, and they don't yet have enough life experience to see the bigger picture. Maybe that's what the author was trying to convey -- although I agree that selfish characters are really annoying.

    Maybe that's why I don't have kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. couchpotatocritic, Oh, definitely! Heck, I'm still pretty selfish. All the same, it would have been better with less annoying characters.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this book until a week or two ago when there was all that dramarama with the author, a blogger, and a slightly negative review. (Have you heard about that? If not, forget I said anything. It was ugly) Anyway, all that business really turned me off to the author, but it's interesting to know that you'd recommend the book. Maybe I'll give it a chance in a month or two and just not review it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I had no idea this was even the same author. Well, I don't care I liked it. To each their own. I will say, if we bloggers are allowed to say whatever we want why isn't the author??? *shrugs*

      Delete
  5. Skipping this one, and then I'm going to google Lackadaisical....did I spell that right?? Anyway great review, I'd say the new format is working for you ;)
    Triatan @ Reads With Wreckless Abandon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It just means laid back and apathetic. Thanks for commenting on the format change.

      Delete
  6. I like the new format. :) (I'm trying out a new one myself. It's hard to come up with one!)

    Also, I love road trip books too. You've read PAPER TOWNS right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I might change mine up a bit more. I have read Paper Towns and I liked it...in fact, it's the only John Green book I've read.

      Delete
    2. What!?! The only John Green book you've ever read? That's un-possible. LOOKING FOR ALASKA is my favorite, but they are all good.

      Delete