Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: I Capture The Castle

Title I Capture The Castle
By Dodie Smith
For Book Club
Pages 343
Recommended by Suey and Kim
First sentence I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.

Synopsis
Written in diary form this book tells the story of Cassandra and her family and their life in a rundown English castle. With adventure and romance, this coming of age story will capture your heart. It certainly caught mine.

What its got going for it
I adored this book almost from page one! I've heard it compared to Pride and Prejudice but besides the fact that two brothers of a marriageable age move into the neighborhood, I found nothing else in common with P&P. So, don't go expecting it. But do expect a book worth investing your emotions in. And be prepared for those emotions to go on quite the roller coaster ride. I loved how quickly Cassandra makes you care about her and her family and how well she describes everyone in the book. The things in Cassandra's life that might not seem overly exciting become thoroughly adventurous and exciting in her words. And for you YA only lovers...um....Cassandra is 17. Sure it takes place in the 1940's but this will surely be enjoyable to YA lovers.

What's lacking? 
The only two things that slightly ruined this book for me was Cassandra's attitude after she realized she was 'in love" I was horribly disappointed in her overly dramatic actions. I can understand  it but it made this character I LOVED turn into someone I only mildly cared for. That's just a personal preference, though. It was also horribly predictable and convenient but tha was forgivable because of the great story.

Yea or Nay? 
Yes, definitely worth a read! Don't let the "classic" typecast that goes with this book scare you off. It's readable and entertaining and isn't that what we're all looking for?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, I was wondering about the YA thing. Why is this not classified as that? Or is it? Just because it was written in the 40s and there was no such thing then? I don't get it.

    Cassandra makes me crazy at the end too and I since I didn't ever like Simon, again... I just don't get it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No freaking way! We have the same opinion about Cassandra?! But, um, I liked Simon. ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written, I just couldn't get very into it for some reason I can't define.
    It's got a great opening sentence, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was one of those books that was just read at the right time for me.

      Delete
  3. Yay, great review! I haven't gotten far into it myself, but I can sense the same things from just the beginning. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep reading, I want to hear your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I only need a sight comparison to Pride and Prejudice to get my interest. This is a very favorable review from you :) I can only conclude that I must read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book when I read it. It's been a number of years now, so I don't really remember the story, but I do remember how much I enjoyed it. Glad you did, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I might not remember much about it in a few years but I'll remember liking it and enjoying re-reading it.

      Delete
  6. From this review, I think you liked this more than I thought after last night. It definitely has a charm about it.

    ReplyDelete