Monday, January 30, 2012

Review: Everneath

Title Everneath
By Brodi Ashton
Pages 370
Recommended by Suey

First Sentence I was picturing his face-a boy with floppy brown hair and brown eyes-when the Feed ended.


Synopsis
Nikki has six months left. Six months to say good by to her friends and family and the love of her life, Jack. Six months before she goes to the Everneath...again.

What is has going for it
I've been waiting for this one forever. I knew my expectations were too high and I already knew I was going to like Cole over Jack, even when the author told us Cole didn't have a chance, but I got my hands on it and dove right in anyway. It had a very different unique story and the ending was very exciting and fast paced. I was impressed with the writing considering it's a debut novel and those can often leave a lot to be desired. And I really liked the underlying theme of redemption woven through the story. All in all the plot was what saved this one and earned three stars on Goodreads from me.

What is lacking
Sigh, I guess it's not really THIS book's fault that I'm getting a little tired of the poor guy that isn't morally perfect and isn't a big fat romantic sap that just NEVER gets the girl. It was like watching The Phantom of the Opera all over again. Don't get me wrong, I like Raul from TPOTO but I always did feel bad for the Phantom. Likewise, I felt bad for Cole, and I hate knowing he's going to be strung along for two more books before he DOESN'T win. :( Yeah, so it wasn't the book's fault that it had bad timing with my emotions. And it didn't help that I couldn't stand how unrealistically sweet and understanding Jack was, but then again, I've always struggled with the idea of a love like Jack and Nikkie's...well, at least a love like that occurring in high school. I was also bothered with the relationship between Nikki and her dad and brother. She did, after all, come to say goodbye to them too, not just Jack, but there wasn't enough interaction with them to make me believe she really cared. So, yeah the plot was great but the characters weren't, for me, anyways. Luckily I'm more of a plot girl. ;)

Yea or nay? 
Yeah, I think the characters will only bug me, and the plot is great so...yeah.

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the plot at least. I'm sad that you didn't like the book as much as I did, though. But, honestly, I was expecting a lot worse reaction from you, lol. So, I'll take what I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I liked it I just felt bad for Cole and wasn't connecting to the other characters. I'm sorry, though. I hate when someone doesn't love a book as much as you do.

      Delete
  2. I always felt bad for the Phantom too, poor guy. But yeah, what Jenni said. Glad you liked it for the story anyway. I bet we'll see more character development as it goes on. And you never know... Cole's story may surprise us yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, watch her have Cole sacrifice himself just like the Phantom does so the woman he loves can go be with the dumb WUV of her life. :( Sorry, still a little sore about the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. I reeeeally want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. Hopefully you can get your hands on it soon.

      Delete
  4. First off, this cover is all kinds of awesome. But I think I would have the exact same issues as you. If a dude has no chance, why not get it over with instead of stringing everybody along. I might read it for the plot alone and see how I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't the cover beautiful?! I wouldn't mind the dragging the guy who doesn't have a chance a long if it wasn't so prevalent in YA theses days. I'm getting sick of it!

      Delete
  5. I didn't think I would like this book but I adored it. Sure it was a little cliche at times but completely awesome for me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I love when a book you have incredibly low expectations for is amazing!

      Delete
  6. Totally agree with you about the morally-ambiguous boys not getting the girls. It especially does my head in because I LOVE them and I'm always like "What the frick are you doing, stupid girl? He's clearly the better choice!!" BTW if you haven't already, you should read The Demon's Lexicon trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan. I think you'd enjoy it

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Sheesh, stupid girls. Everyone keeps telling my to read TDL books and I have the first one I just need to get going on them.

      Delete
  7. Huh, I didn't think she was unclear in what boy she would pick in the book. And I did feel a bit sorry for Cole, but he also was kind of a jerk and that makes it harder for me to feel sorry. Same with the Phantom, though he was more pathetic than Cole, imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this could lead into quite the "discussion". ;) I knew before Brodi even said anything that she wasn't going to choose Cole. And now that I know he's the villain I know Nikki won't choose him. Not that there even was a choice; Cole was never a choice. I'm just tired of seeing these poor guys never have a chance. Cole may be evil but how evil can someone be if they can love? And watch him sacrifice himself at the end so Jack and Nikki can be together forever. Argh!

      Delete
  8. See, this is why I'm avoiding these books. I can hardly handle a love triangle that only lasts one book - stretching it out for a series would make me take a spork to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take the spork to your eye! ;) No, the whole thing isn't even a love triangle. What bugged me is that Cole loves Nikki and he doesn't have a chance. Poor guy. :(

      Delete