Monday, January 2, 2012

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Tile Lola and the Boy Next Door
By Stephanie Perkins
For Fun
Pages 384
Recommended by Samantha


First sentence I have three simple wishes.

Synopsis
Lola thought she was over Cricket Bell. She has a hot, new, rocker boyfriend and life is going good, until Cricket moves back in next door.

General thoughts
Well, after enjoying Anna and the French Kiss I knew I'd at least enjoy the writing and characters in any book Stephanie Perkins wrote but when I saw what this one was about I was very excited. I have a thing for stories about the boy next door. (No there's not some psychology behind that, I just do) Still, everyone was saying they liked Anna, better than this one so I started to worry. No need, this one was way better in my opinion. Yes, it's ridiculously romantic and sappy but I knew that's what I was getting into, so I just sat back and enjoyed the romance, the slightly unbelievable romance. Yes, Cricket was so freaking awesome I wanted to date him myself but I've never met anyone in real life like him. Unfortunately. :( I did have two problems with this one and they're just personal taste. One, I enjoyed seeing Anna and St Claire again but their part was almost too big. Anna had her story! It's Lola's turn! I also was impressed and irritated, at the same time, with Perkins' ability to make me yell out loud at the book, "Just kiss already!"

Characters
 All Perkins' characters are real and memorable but since this one was primarily about Lola and Cricket I'll just share my opinion of them. Lola, was awesome, of course! I loved her style and drama. I even loved her imperfections. I don't think I have to tell you how much I ADORED Cricket but I will anyway. He was such a sweetheart. I think I'm in love!

Would I recommend it?
Yep! I most certainly would!

14 comments:

  1. I will read both of Perkin's books one of these days, having heard nothing but good about them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, you should. They're fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this one for the longest time but I was waiting to read Anna and the French Kiss first. Then I read some not good reviews of Anna's book and ow I don't know what to do! On another note, I hope Cricket is a nickname...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so anxious to read one of her books! There are just so many I'm behind on already. :P I love how you're impressed and irritated at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lan, Nope, his name is totally Cricket. *shrugs* I think you should read them, just go in knowing they're total romance.

    Jessica, They're great, you should squeeze them in someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perkins is one of my all time favourite authors now! I'm one of the people who liked Anna better, but that's only because I was hoping Perkins would have expanded a bit more into some of the issues she brought up in Lola, like the homelessness issue. But then again that probably would have made the novel less romantic and more contemporary.... oh well! Still a really fabulous read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie, Yeah, I don't expect a heck of a lot of "depth" to her books. Just fun romance with teen angst. Maybe that's cruel of me to say but that's how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, do I dare ask... who was Lola in the first book? I don't remember her!

    This one sounds so fun. I love boys next door too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suey, Nope, I don't think Lola was in the first one. If you want to borrow this one from me you're welcome to. That is, if you haven't bought it yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I would love to borrow! Are you keeping a list? What else have I said I'm going to borrow lately?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suey, I have no idea. I can't remember. I think you borrowed all the ones you were going to...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy you liked it! I think I related to Anna better than Lola, but I loved loved loved Cricket. He definitely made the book for me. (and the dads. I thought they were funny)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, Oh, the dads were so great! I should have mention them in my review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been trying to find this information. Just so you know I established your blog when I had looking for weblogs like my own,my blog someday and post me a ideas to let me know what you think.

    Click For More Information: Next Door

    ReplyDelete